website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

Breaking is NOT a sport...there are no set competition rules, the winners are not clear to the audience and those who are proclamed as winners are never the true best in the game in that given day :evil:

same for artistic swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, trampoline gymnastics, dressage, surf and skateboard

LET'S GET RID OF THOSE ARTISTIC ENTERTAINING ACTIVITIES THAT HAVE NEVER TO DO WITH SPORT!

ALTIUS, CITIUS, FORTIUS...if the final result is not measurable according to at least one of those 3 principles, it's not an a sport and it shouldn't be in the Olympic program :bones:

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

LET'S GET RID OF THOSE ARTISTIC ENTERTAINING ACTIVITIES THAT HAVE NEVER TO DO WITH SPORT!

And alienate all of the causal fans that tune in for those sports. Like it or not, those sports do have a pretty active and dedicated following. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

And alienate all of the causal fans that tune in for those sports. Like it or not, those sports do have a pretty active and dedicated following. 

sorry, Today I'm really frustrated for personal reasons and I'm getting really aggressive against anything I don't like...it's just like "me vs the world" :facepalm:

I know I shouldn't put my troubles on other people, but I have to throw them off somehow before it gets serious

better going to sleep...maybe tomorrow is a better day (still, I won't start liking those things in any case ;) but maybe I'm gonna keep it for myself)

33 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Breaking has a lot going for it. It takes very few quotas (32). It can be held in almost any venue, including very public locations. It is different from other artistic sports on the program, given the battle element. It translates very well to television. It also, so far, manages to attract a crowd. It was one of the hottest tickets at The World Games and European Games.

Ya, that’s the main reason I’m not bothered by Breaking being in the Olympics. It very likely requires the least amount of resources of *any* sport at the Olympics in every metric that matters - quotas, venue, officials, broadcasting. It really doesn’t need to bring much to the games in order to justify it’s presence.

2 hours ago, Roamingrover86 said:

There you go, you got a sport(if at all it can be called a sport) in Olympics which most people haven’t got a clue about, including myself. 
I am not sure we would be even discussing Breaking if it was not part of the Olympics programme . 
Cricket in its new format (T20) will get a lot of traction , if included in the Olympics. 
Am not a Cricket fan but if given the choice I would much rather watch a T20 match of Cricket than a breaking session. 
Apart from the revenue it will generate for IOC & LOC.  It will also help the sport become truly global with more countries taking the sport seriously. 
Well we will find out in 4 days time , if Cricket is included or not. But if USA wants to develop a cricket league in their country , Cricket inclusion will make sense for LA LOC . 

That could be said about several other sports. I understand nothing when it comes to judging dressage or artistic swimming (and very little in several other "artistic" sports in both summer and winter sports.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of breaking being in the Olympics, but some people not understanding it is not a good reason unless we should cut a lot of sports.

My analysis.

Baseball

POSITIVES - One of the biggest sports in the host country,  will require no new facilities, might attract big crowds live, A US Olympics might persuade MLB to allow players to compete

NEGATIVES - Little interest outside a few parts of the world (North America, parts of Central and South America and East Asia), If MLB doesn't allow their players to go the Olympics then the competition will be the lowest quality of any Olympic sport. Will take a lot of quota places

Flag Football

POSITIVES - A variation of one of the biggest sports in the host country,  will require no new facilities, might attract big crowds live. A US Olympics might persuade the NFL to allow players to compete

NEGATIVES - Little interest outside the USA, the USA will win easily, unlike Rugby Sevens it's not established as a serious sport. Will take a lot of quota places

Breaking -

POSITIVES - Got to be in with the street culture, dude. It's quite fun to watch

NEGATIVES - There is no subjective way of judging the "sport". Is it even a sport?

Cricket

POSITIVES - India is the last important country in the world where Olympic TV rights are undervalued. Mr.Bach likes Rupees.

NEGATIVES - Will need new facilities. Cricket is only played well in about 25 countries around the world. Will take a lot of quota places

Lacrosse

POSITIVES -  Popular in North America. Exciting to watch.

NEGATIVES - Only a handful of countries are competitive. Will take a lot of quota places

Karate and Kickboxing

POSITIVES - Widespread competition around the world

NEGATIVES - Too many similar combat sports in the Olympics.

E-Karting

POSITIVES - There must be some?

NEGATIVES - Does motorsport belong in the Olympics anyway?

7 minutes ago, Dragon said:

E-Karting

POSITIVES - There must be some?

NEGATIVES - Does motorsport belong in the Olympics anyway?

My hobby horse forever is that there should be a separate Olympics for mind sports and skill sports (name really needs workshopping), where everything from bowling, cue sports, chess, esports and motorsports could be included.

9 minutes ago, NearPup said:

My hobby horse forever is that there should be a separate Olympics for mind sports and skill sports (name really needs workshopping), where everything from bowling, cue sports, chess, esports and motorsports could be included.

Just wait until Helsinki hosts the Olympics in 2052 and includes that as an optional sport :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela