website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA European Championship 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

So after two matchdays this might be the most likely bracket:

:LAT:GBR / :HUN 

:SRB v :CZE / :MNE 

:BEL v :TUR / :GER 

:FRA v :ESP / :ITA 

LOL at us potentially getting the "easy" road to the Top4 thanks to our defeat against Turkey and thanks to the Group A clusterfuck. I mean, after today I wouldn't expect anything great from our girls, but Great Britain and Latvia being our main opponents for the Top4 seems too good to be true.

Well I am very happy with our performance against Latvia! The first quarter was a mess but midway through the second quarter we went down 11 and then it was a big turning point for us and we started to play well.

Of course Spanou shot 6 3-pointers, but she actually made 2 of them so I can't even complain today :p

We actually played most of the game with two guards instead of three, and as a result we limited the amount of offensive rebounds Latvia got (compared to Montenegro when we played with three guards). I mean, it is not rocket science so I'm glad our coach was able to figure it out.

Also the dinosaurs (Sotiriou and Stamati) each played for less than 10 minutes, which I am happy about, after yesterday we had Stamati play 32 minutes, meanwhile she is 38 yo and spent most of her career either not being good enough for the national team or mostly on the bench and barely getting minutes. Now suddenly the coach decided she is a starting player? Lol. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to have her in the team as a bench player but in no world should she be getting so much playing time. And I was proven correct today :lol:

Christinaki played 37 mins, Tsineke played 29 mins, and Pavlopoulou played 22 mins, and they all played very well today! This is what I was talking about yesterday. They are all very good players and the coach barely used them against Montenegro. He must have an account on this site and saw my post and decided to listen to me :roflmao:

I still think Bosgana should play, it's a shame that she didn't get any minutes so far but it is what it is.

Fasoula is incredible! She has really proven herself both for her club and country. She would make it onto any national team (except USA), and she is probably our best overall player since Maltsi.

I am not sure if we can beat Spain, it will be very tough, but if Montenegro can beat Latvia then it won't even matter. Let's see what will happen on Sunday...

20 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Also I will say that I would rather lose with the authentic team we had than win like Montenegro did, with an American player leading them who probably can't even locate Montenegro on the map or can name any place in the country except for maybe Podgorica, or speak a word of their language but that's a conversation for another time...

Well I came across her Instagram page today. She played in Poland this past season but she has the...Indonesian flag in her Instagram bio...

So yeah, I really wasn't wrong about this and while we're at it let's talk about Serbia, Turkey, Hungary, and Israel who also have Americans on their team :wacko:

By the way, here it is in case you didn't believe me: https://www.instagram.com/tasha.mack4/

11 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Am I right in thinking that would be based on :LAT beating :MNE in the final group match?

Yeah, I am expecting that :LAT will beat :MNE and :ESP will beat :GRE. But that group is a mess, so who knows.

The most likely scenario in that group still remains Spain finishing top of the group. Why would Latvia be considered better than Montenegro? We need to wait and see. Also, Hungary vs Serbia is much closer to 50-50 than comfortable Serbia win.