website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA European Championship 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

So by my reckoning, Hungary will qualify for the final tournament by virtue of being the top ranked second placed teams. (Theoretically they could get caught by another team but they have healthy points difference of +82 so it is unlikely)

Israel and Croatia have both completed their matches and have 6 points. Croatia are unlikely to qualify as their points difference is -16 so it is likely that they will be overtaken by another country after the last round of matches whilst Israel will qualify as host. 

The Netherlands take on the Czech Republic in their last group match. If they win, they will finish with 7 points and overtake Hungary to qualify as the top ranked team. If they lose, they finish with 6 points and it will come down to the margin of defeat. As a benchmark, in their previous match, CZE won by 5. If this is replicated, then the Netherlands points difference would be +15 and they would be likely to qualify. (NB in that scenario, they would also overtake Israel in the table) 

In Group F, Denmark take on Montenegro and they basically need to win to qualify.  If they do win, their points difference will be in excess of +24 and they would likely go through as the second ranked team. 

Slovakia's final match in Group H is against Luxembourg. Last time around, Slovakia won by 20 points and there's no reason to think that won't happen again. If it did, they would finish with 6 points and a points difference of +16 so are well placed to qualify.

The final Group G match is Portugal against GBR. These two teams are neck and neck with points difference of -8 and -7 respectively so whoever wins is probably going to need a victory margin of 25-30 points to be confident of qualifying.  GBR played well against Estonia this evening but Portugal surprised with a victory against Greece so this could go either way. 

In the adjusted tables, Poland are second in group D ahead of Slovenia on points difference. (-14 against -15). They'll face off against each other in the final group match. In their previous meeting, it was a tight result with Slovenia edging it by 7 points. A similar result this time would be unlikely to be enough for either side to qualify. The winning side is probably going to need a margin of 30-40 points to qualify.

It is a similar story for Group A (Germany) and Group B (Lithuania) - the margin of victory required to stand realistic chance of qualifying is likely to be in the region of 30-40 points.

So with all that said, my best guess for qualification is: :HUN ,  :NED , :SVK , and the winner of :GBR v :POR

Well our girls qualified but it was far from convincing, Spanou was horrible with so many turnovers, but Fasoula was incredible. She had 27 points, I think that might be a new record for her with the senior national team although I'm too lazy to look it up.

I still don't understand why Nikolopoulou and Spyridopoulou aren't in the team anymore, I mean they are 31 and 34 respectively but we have two 38 year olds in the team for example. Especially for these qualifiers we need more bench players, for the final tournament we will be okay with some of our NCAA players.

I think there are still 2 live matches that could impact the qualification but as things stand:

Hungary weren't in relevant action today and will qualify as one of the top 4 second placed teams.

GBR are currently the second team to qualify after a fairly comfortable 78-48 win against Portugal. GBR have a points difference of +23.

Israel are in a qualifying position, but we can exclude them as they are automatically qualified as a co-host. They finished with a PD of +9

Poland currently have the 3rd qualifying spot having defeated Slovenia 65-58. Whilst it is a good win, they probably would have liked a higher margin of victory. They finish with a points difference of -7

Ukraine are in the hot seat at the moment. They defeated Lithuania today 71-65. They finish with a points difference of -15 so are just ahead of Croatia who finished with a PD of -16

The only teams that could spoil the party for these 4 are Slovakia and Germany. Slovakia are currently destroying Luxembourg 50-27 in the second quarter. If they keep this rate of scoring up, they will probably go ahead of GBR to take the second qualifying spot. That will knock Ukraine out of contention.

That leaves Germany who will take on Bosnia & Herzegovina later. Germany will probably start as favourites. They currently have a points difference of -15 so they only need to win by a margin of 8 to overtake Poland and secure the final qualifying spot. In the reverse match, Germany ran out 97-58 winners. 

So I think Poland may just fall short.

As expected Slovakia have secured their place in the final tournament so we're down to the final qualifying spot. At half time, Germany have a 7 point lead over Bosnia which would mean they would fall just short of Poland's Points Difference.