website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA European Championship 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

:clap: Somehow Team GB managed to sneak out a victory 76-71. Definitely a much stronger 2nd half for them - and a particularly tidy 4th quarter where they only gave away 1 foul. Should be enough to get them into the next stage where they would be likely to face either Turkey or Hungary.

BUT, they really can't afford a repeat of those 5 minutes across the end of Q1/early Q2 where they conceded 16 points without response. 

They're against :FRA tomorrow - the match which will probably decide who will top the group. The two teams played a friendly last week and France were comfortable winners 76-54. 

Well we can pretty much kiss Paris 2024 goodbye after that performance :(

I was unable to watch the game but if we lost to Montenegro (even if it was close), then we really can't expect to do much here...

Judging by the statistics, I am not surprised either. Spanou (our PF/C) shot 7 3-pointers and only made 1 of them. She's been doing this for years. She thinks she is Steph Curry or something, meanwhile she misses 90% of the time. I can't believe no national team coach has ever told her stop doing that crap. It's extremely frustrating.

Also we let Montenegro collect 16 (!!!) offensive rebounds, when they only let us get 5. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that we played most of the game with three guards under 180cm, then we wonder why we can't get rebounds...

As expected, Diela and Karlafti did not play and Alexandri only played 3 minutes. I'm shocked that Bosgana didn't play at all, as she is one of our tallest players and one of the best players we have on our bench, plus she is a decent shooter too! I'm not sure what this coach was thinking, and playing Stamati more than Christinaki and Pavlopoulou combined is also a joke. Especially since Pavlopoulou seemed to have a good game based on the stats.

I will say that I'm happy Tsineke finally got a lot of playing time.

Also I will say that I would rather lose with the authentic team we had than win like Montenegro did, with an American player leading them who probably can't even locate Montenegro on the map or can name any place in the country except for maybe Podgorica, or speak a word of their language but that's a conversation for another time...

And that's the end of that, collapse against :TUR in Q4, and with that, goodbye to our chance to reach the Top8. 

This is why I never expect anything great for us in women's basketball, they always choke under pressure, like how they threw away the 3x3 Tokyo quota.

Edited by Vektor

46 minutes ago, Vektor said:

And that's the end of that, collapse against :TUR in Q4, and with that, goodbye to our chance to reach the Top8. 

This is why I never expect anything great for us in women's basketball, they always choke under pressure, like how they threw away the 3x3 Tokyo quota.

Don't think Hungary are out of contention for quarter finals yet. They've got about 30 point cushion in points difference from Turkey. If they can keep Serbia close then good chance they could finish 2nd in the group.

Either way, they will qualify for the next stage of the competition and would be up against runners up from Group C - likely to be GBR or Slovenia - and given how well they've played in their first 2 matches and although they'd be the lower ranked team, they have the ability to win either of those matches.

40 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Don't think Hungary are out of contention for quarter finals yet. They've got about 30 point cushion in points difference from Turkey. If they can keep Serbia close then good chance they could finish 2nd in the group.

Either way, they will qualify for the next stage of the competition and would be up against runners up from Group C - likely to be GBR or Slovenia - and given how well they've played in their first 2 matches and although they'd be the lower ranked team, they have the ability to win either of those matches.

That's not how it works. To determine the rankings in basketball it's H2H always. 

Having said that, in no way is Hungary out of contention for qf. If they beat Serbia only by 4 they will be top of the group.