website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

4 minutes ago, dodge said:

It would be some coup if :IRL gets a magical quota here @OlympicIRL @Oldira :lol:

Are you sure FINA is not behind this magic? :p

This would be just beyond crazy, Jamaican bobsleigh team has nothing on this :d .

One question... how??? How is this possible? Surely there must be 100 nations ahead of us!?

2 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Maybe @MHSN has mixed our flag with :CIV:d

no I didn't :d that's Ireland. Ireland is the best ranked NOC in that weight with no quota in another categories.

I have to say I'm not sure at all about what I wrote :d so don't blame me if I was completely wrong :p the whole qualification process was mind blowing. (for example both of our Olympic Champions failed to qualify)

as I said I still think India will take that quota but some Indian users told me earlier that this is guy is suspended (I can't find anything confirming that) if he is banned, there is nobody else from Asia to take the Asian quota. so the quota will be re-allocated.

BUT even if India takes that one, there is another way left for Ireland, according to the rules, since Japan is qualifying maximum 4 weightlifters, there will be 4 unused host quotas. we still don't know in which weights because they have to award 3 wild cards first. in case no wild card will be awarded in this weight. :CIV Brown has a good chance to take the unused host quota.

unused Host Country place(s) will be reallocated by the IWF, priority given to next highest ranked NOCs according to the IWF Absolute Ranking not represented yet.

1 minute ago, rybak said:

@MHSN what about Adamus' chances for quota? After all those limits and reallocations he still may qualify?

not at the moment but his chances are not completely dead yet. slim chance though.

he is 3rd in line for the European quota. actually 2nd because Russia is not going to take this one. but Albania is still ahead of him. he had to make his last attempt in the World Juniors to surpass that guy. I remember how frustrated he was when he failed.

but the thing is, Albania (which is limited to 2 quotas) most probably don't want this guy. they want Qerimaj at 81 for their 2nd spot. he will qualify if Colombia is banned or someone gets hurt in 81kg ranking. just one change will be enough for Albania (and therefore for Adamus)

Albania might reject 96kg quota "hoping" for 81kg later with possible reallocations. these are just possibilities but at this moment Adamus is out of the Olympics.

10 minutes ago, MHSN said:

no I didn't :d that's Ireland. Ireland is the best ranked NOC in that weight with no quota in another categories.

I have to say I'm not sure at all about what I wrote :d so don't blame me if I was completely wrong :p the whole qualification process was mind blowing. (for example both of our Olympic Champions failed to qualify)

as I said I still think India will take that quota but some Indian users told me earlier that this is guy is suspended (I can't find anything confirming that) if he is banned, there is nobody else from Asia to take the Asian quota. so the quota will be re-allocated.

BUT even if India takes that one, there is another way left for Ireland, according to the rules, since Japan is qualifying maximum 4 weightlifters, there will be 4 unused host quotas. we still don't know in which weights because they have to award 3 wild cards first. in case no wild card will be awarded in this weight. :CIV Brown has a good chance to take the unused host quota.

Thanks for all the info! That would be so cool to see Ireland with a weightlifter at the Olympics and if it doesn’t happen I am already pleasantly surprised we had someone in the picture at least. My bad for not giving him the respect he deserves. Good luck to him :) 

15 minutes ago, MHSN said:

not at the moment but his chances are not completely dead yet. slim chance though.

he is 3rd in line for the European quota. actually 2nd because Russia is not going to take this one. but Albania is still ahead of him. he had to make his last attempt in the World Juniors to surpass that guy. I remember how frustrated he was when he failed.

but the thing is, Albania (which is limited to 2 quotas) most probably don't want this guy. they want Qerimaj at 81 for their 2nd spot. he will qualify if Colombia is banned or someone gets hurt in 81kg ranking. just one change will be enough for Albania (and therefore for Adamus)

Albania might reject 96kg quota "hoping" for 81kg later with possible reallocations. these are just possibilities but at this moment Adamus is out of the Olympics.

I assume Gareth Evans :GBR has no hope of a place at 67kg?