website statistics

Diving Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

mrv86

16 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Yea without a doubt. Canada gained +39 quotas through two easy team sport quotas (men's rugby and women's water polo) + addition of softball to these games. Even with baseball + softball in 2008, Canada is on track to surpass that here. I think credit has to be given to a focus on qualifying as much team sports as possible. Own the Podium (Canada's medal winning funding process) had started a team sport focus in the last quad, and its paying dividends here. If men's baseball + men's basketball qualify, the team size will be just over 400.

wow ... you will undoubtedly pass us in front of the ranking of nations ... it's not good for Europeans! ^^

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Doing the rough maths, 8 x 2 x 4  = all the synchro quotas = 64, leaving 72 which is 18 per individual event. so there are 18 individual quota places available per individual event, but anyone who earns a place by right in Synchro (e.g Tom Daley, Jack Laugher, Grace Reid and Lois Touslon, for example) doesn't need a 'quota place'. so if you imagine stroking those out (they still get in the event, of course, but they just don't take up a quota) you just keep going until you've handed out 18 places to individual divers only - I assume the same rule may apply if a diver is diving in two individual events by right.

Of course, these 'bonus' places can't be technically handed out until the Synchro nations have conformed their picks, but we know who most of them will be, and I think that's where the confusion lay. It certainly wasn't 18 actual spots at the last qualifer.

Even FINA themselves said the top 18 at World Cup qualified for Tokyo.

https://www.fina.org/news/2129485/watson-making-history-for-ireland

FINA has updated their confirmed quota allocation table as of today (scroll down to the bottom): https://www.fina.org/competitions/tokyo-2020-diving-info/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

FINA has updated their confirmed quota allocation table as of today (scroll down to the bottom): https://www.fina.org/competitions/tokyo-2020-diving-info/

Looks like they are trying to change their rules, I hope they are getting their lawyers ready.

11 hours ago, Oldira said:

Even FINA themselves said the top 18 at World Cup qualified for Tokyo.

https://www.fina.org/news/2129485/watson-making-history-for-ireland

I know. and they were wrong. They've screwed up big style. The numbers simply don't add up - 12 from World Champs, 5 continental champs, host, and 18 from World Cup would be 36 per indivdidual event, or 144 total - which is 8 more than their complete quote including synchro

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I know. and they were wrong. They've screwed up big style. The numbers simply don't add up - 12 from World Champs, 5 continental champs, host, and 18 from World Cup would be 36 per indivdidual event, or 144 total - which is 8 more than their complete quote including synchro

In typical years, most of those 12 World Champs qualifiers would also compete at the World Cup so a lot fewer than 18 would qualify, but because of COVID many athletes which already qualified did not attend thus allowing a larger number to qualify at the World Cup.

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The problem may not be as great as it seems once NOCs start selecting their teams. As we've seen today GB have only used 12 of their 16 quotas and it appears that China will likely only use 10 or 11 of their 16. Most other countries with synchronised quotas will also have divers doubling up so this should help FINA significantly.

16 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

The problem may not be as great as it seems once NOCs start selecting their teams. As we've seen today GB have only used 12 of their 16 quotas and it appears that China will likely only use 10 or 11 of their 16. Most other countries with synchronised quotas will also have divers doubling up so this should help FINA significantly.

Pretty much, we'll be around 5 athletes above the max quota once all is over so the impact of FINA not honouring their qualification procedure will only impact a handful of athletes.