website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

11 hours ago, George_D said:

hi guys! i would to ask you all.. what are your opinions about Tsipras :wGRE: as a leader? :d

Forgive me if I'm wrong and getting people confused, but wasn't he the one who years ago basically wanted to hold up his hand for billions and billions of EU euros without serious conditions (but then eventually of course needed to accept some serious conditions and get his own country's finances somewhat in order)? :p 

I know the whole thing was super complicated, so again: never mind if I'm wrong, also since there isn't really a short explanation of the whole thing available online from what I saw in a quick search :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

l’uranium nigérien représentait encore le premier importateur d'uranium, avec 34,72% de l'uranium naturel fourni à la France, d’après le comité technique Euratom (CTE) à Libération et franceinfo. Juste devant le Kazakhstan (28,95%), l'Ouzbékistan (26,43%) et l'Australie (9,91%).

Translate :  Niger is the first supplier of Uranium to France 

29 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Not even. Between 15 and 18% from what I've read with Niger counting for only 5% of the world production. So whatever, really.

"The French government and energy experts were quick to stress that the tensions will not have any immediate impact on France's needs for uranium as extraction is continuing and, should it stop, existing stocks could still cover approximately two years."

"France is not dependent on any one site, company or country to ensure the security of supply for its power plants.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/niger-coup-spark-concerns-france-uranium-dependency/

If the situation in Niger gets worse, this would certainly complicate the adoption of sanctions on Russian uranium in the short term.”

"But given the enduring presence of French companies in Burkina Faso and Mali, no matter the anti-Paris disposition of the juntas there, there may be little change to the current status quo."

"After the 1974 coup, which overthrew the country’s first post-colonial government, Grégoire said that “negotiations took place because the French had imposed contracts that were financially detrimental to the Nigeriens, but there was never any question of kicking them out."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/08/01/uranium-niger-france-coup/

"Niger, which has Africa's highest-grade uranium ores, produced 2,020 metric tons of uranium in 2022, about 5% of world mining output, according to the WNA. This was down from 2,991 tons in 2020."

"Niger has one major mining operation in the north operated by France's state-owned Orano, another major mine which closed in 2021, with one under development."

"French nuclear power plants source less than 10% of their uranium from Niger."

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/uranium-mines-niger-worlds-7th-biggest-producer-2023-07-28/

"France is also the world's largest net exporter of nuclear energy, bringing in more than €3 billion per year."

"Niger has maintained a market share of between 4 and 6 percent of the global uranium trade for the last decade."

"Niger supplied France with around 18 percent of its uranium between 2005 and 2020."

"France’s largest suppliers, Kazakhstan and Australia, provided 20 and 19 percent, respectively."

"The EU’s nuclear agency Euratom – which gets one-quarter of its uranium from Niger – has also said it is not worried about the coup affecting nuclear power production. If imports from Niger are being cut, there are no immediate risks to the security of nuclear power production in the short term."

"The European Commission said the 27-nation bloc had sufficient inventories of uranium to mitigate any short-term supply risks."

"Another factor that will help mitigate any fluctuations are the relatively low fuel cycle costs (including for uranium, uranium enrichment, conversion and fuel fabrication) of generating nuclear power. The NEA estimates uranium to count for only about 6 percent of the cost of nuclear energy – a figure overshadowed by the 59 percent in investment costs and 25 percent in operation and maintenance costs."

"The possible suspension of uranium supplies to France also raises questions about whether Niger could effectively replace French demand without seeing a sharp economic decline itself – 33 percent of Nigerien exports go to France, almost all of which are radioactive fuel."

https://www.france24.com/en/africa/20230801-does-the-coup-in-niger-threaten-nuclear-power-plants-in-france

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.