website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

30 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nice :d 

Although the former 'Prins Pils' ('Prince Beer', basically) might prefer to skip that and go straight to the bar :lol: 

Well, Slovakia still has one of the cheapest prices for a pint of beer in Europe, so who knows what was the real reason of this sudden visit :p

Edited by hckošice

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Meanwhile, millions of French laying down their work (as is tradition :p) to protest against raising the pension age to....well, still one of the lowest in all of Europe (64) :lol: 

It may seem funny to you, but retirement age is steadily rising for some time and it doesn't seem like stopping anytime soon. I fully expect by the time our generation retires it would be like 75 years.

The current system is heavily flawed and people should be looking at ways to improve it. With every passing year, there are less and less young people to work and pay for the more and more elderly. And their only solution is to work longer and longer and delay retirement, until your arms fall off more or less.

The chart is going downwards now, unlike the 20th century. I had grandparents in the 90s, who retired at 53-54 and lived 30 years of retirement. 

@heywoodu latest news from the :NED royal family visit. The king received as a gift from our president a bottle of honey from the presidential garden. :d

Man, she really produced them a lot during the covid pandemic, every diplomatic guest since then already got one including the pope or Macron :lol:

3 hours ago, Federer91 said:

It may seem funny to you, but retirement age is steadily rising for some time and it doesn't seem like stopping anytime soon. I fully expect by the time our generation retires it would be like 75 years.

The current system is heavily flawed and people should be looking at ways to improve it. With every passing year, there are less and less young people to work and pay for the more and more elderly. And their only solution is to work longer and longer and delay retirement, until your arms fall off more or less.

The chart is going downwards now, unlike the 20th century. I had grandparents in the 90s, who retired at 53-54 and lived 30 years of retirement. 

Judging by how the average age is rising and - on average - people get older healthier, I fully expect to be able to retire around 75 or so, yes. Of course like everywhere people could stop working earlier, but I highly doubt I have the skills and/or ambition to have become financially safe enough to stop working when I'm 60 :p Which obviously I'm not too happy about, but don't find unfair at all. Someone has to pay for the retirement, and quite literally the only other solutions (scrap every retirement plan so people will have to make do with their own savings, if they exist, or raise taxes way way more) are pretty likely to result in at least equally massive protests. 

I am fully aware in news items they are obviously only taking the reactions of people that are so extreme it's basically just hard to not see it as comedy, but some of those included a hairdresser going on about how nobody would have their hair cut by 'some old and frail person who can barely stand up straight anymore'. Like, dude, it's 62 to 64 at the moment, the retirement age isn't going from 62 straight up to 95. Which doesn't mean everyone is super healthy at 64, of course, but it's not like the entire group of 64-year olds is a bunch of demented people in wheelchairs who were in excellent health two years before.

I do agree the current system in it's entirety is flawed, my slight laughing was mostly just meant at the absolutely huge outcry of the age being raised to an age that's still considered rather low almost everywhere. Of course I wish everyone a happy early retirement if that were possible... :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, Federer91 said:

I fully expect by the time our generation retires it would be like 75 years.

Mate, by that time working will be almost optional due to AI replacing everything :lol: 

Sadly (or happily?) we'll probably be the scammed generation, working all our adult lives like slaves just to see it become pointless right at the end.  

13 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Mate, by that time working will be almost optional due to AI replacing everything :lol: 

Sadly (or happily?) we'll probably be the scammed generation, working all our adult lives like slaves just to see it become pointless right at the end.  

Just like people 40 years ago thought there would be flying cars by 2020? A little less sci-fi movies i would say. 

16 minutes ago, LDOG said:

The generation after us however would then be the one which still needs to pay for everything, but can't get any money because all the jobs have gone tits up thanks to AI :p 

Spoiler

Although on the other side of jobs, openings won't really be running out for a good while until at some point AI runs and creates AI's which are then also strong and good enough for all kinds of 'basic' jobs like construction :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, hckošice said:

According AI in 2100 my grandson will be annexed by Austria :mumble:

Ehm...Pretty worried here to be honest...

I am, for one, super interested in the story behind the Yugo-Danish Union :d 

Also, fuck the rest of Europe, apparently. Woohoo :woohoo::p