website statistics

Athletes Deaths Thread

Dragon

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I would advice/propose a national day of mourning (in SUI) for him. A talented Swiss rider dying during the country‘a premier cycling event is worthy of that distinction. Plus, from what I’ve read in the cycling media, he was a terrific guy very worthy of that honor. 

The image of Bahrain-Victorious riding towards the line with the :SUI draped in mourning colors will be one of those somberly remembered moments in sports I think. What a sad day for cycling (and his friends and family). 

Mader's tragedy recalls to me Fabio Casartelli's in a scary way. :cry:

Rest In Peace  Sir Ben Helfgott :GBR:POL 1929-2023

His parents and sister were killed by the Nazis and he survived 3 years at the Triblinka extermination camp before sent to England after the war ended.

He was captain of the British weightlifting team at the 1956 and 1960 Olympics and became a leader of the Jewish community in the UK.

He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth in 2018.

17 hours ago, Dragon said:

Rest In Peace  Sir Ben Helfgott :GBR:POL 1929-2023

His parents and sister were killed by the Nazis and he survived 3 years at the Triblinka extermination camp before sent to England after the war ended.

He was captain of the British weightlifting team at the 1956 and 1960 Olympics and became a leader of the Jewish community in the UK.

He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth in 2018.

I believe one of only two known holocaust survivors to go on to compete at the Olympics.

https://www.teamgb.com/article/sir-ben-helfgott-1929-2023/1xaWCon1OFwS94BPuRg3DG?s=09

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Helfgott

Edited by Nickyc707

Dutch racing driver Dilano van 't Hoff has died, aged 18, after a horrific crash in the Formula Regional European Championship at Spa this morning. Got sideways in the rain at the top of Raidillon and then T-boned by someone who had absolutely no chance to avoid him (if he even saw him at all with all that spray)...

Super dominant Spanish F4 champion two years ago, and second in the UAE F4 winter championship in between a whole bunch of well-established talents.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Formula 1 boss Stefano Domenicali said on Twitter: "We are so sad to learn of the passing of Dilano van 't Hoff today at Spa-Francorchamps.

"Dilano died in pursuit of his dream to reach the pinnacle of motorsport. Along with the entire motorsport community, our thoughts are with his family and loved ones."

McLaren also added: "The McLaren Racing Team are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Dilano van 't Hoff in a Formula Regional race at Spa-Francorchamps today.

"Our thoughts are with his family, friends, and the entire MP Motorsport team at this difficult time."

• 3 weeks later...