website statistics

Athletes Deaths Thread

Dragon

1 hour ago, Belle said:

Suicide is the cause of death then? :(

No cause of death has been mentioned.  Suicide has not been brought up, so not sure why you would jump to that conclusion

29 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

No cause of death has been mentioned.  Suicide has not been brought up, so not sure why you would jump to that conclusion

So why would the IG post by kingpaulaskew say this: "Depression is real y’all please check on your people. You never know what they are battling in their minds".

25 minutes ago, dullard said:

So why would the IG post by kingpaulaskew say this: "Depression is real y’all please check on your people. You never know what they are battling in their minds".

Who is Paul Askew and why do we put that much stock into 1 post on IG that we're assuming she committed suicide?  Especially if he's going to mention USATF in that post since there seems like there's an accusation there and not provide much additional context.

I have a feeling we'll find out more in time, but for now, let's not jump to the conclusion that this was suicide just because 1 random post on IG said so

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

To be entirely fair, when no cause of death is mentioned, that is often the 'default' way of announcing a death by suicide...

Not to say that's the case here, and if family thinks it's necessary, we'll hear about it whenever they think the time is right (or not), but it's not the weirdest of thoughts to have when there's news like this.

Still we should not see it as a conclusion, indeed. And anyway the main thing right now is hoping that her friends and family find some strength somewhere :( 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

30 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

To be entirely fair, when no cause of death is mentioned, that is often the 'default' way of announcing a death by suicide...

Not to say that's the case here, and if family thinks it's necessary, we'll hear about it whenever they think the time is right (or not), but it's not the weirdest of thoughts to have when there's news like this.

Still we should not see it as a conclusion, indeed. And anyway the main thing right now is hoping that her friends and family find some strength somewhere :( 

It's definitely fair to ask the question and I'm hoping if there's more to the story that this is mental health related, we'll learn about it.  Again, I just don't want to jump to any conclusions because of some random posting on instagram.

That said, this is someone whose opinion I weigh a lot more strongly and this definitely does hint at mental health as the reason she is gone...

21 hours ago, dullard said:

I guess so. I'd like to know more about this being "blackballed from US Track and Field".

That's all about this dispute https://www.flotrack.org/articles/6307275-tori-bowie-in-limbo-after-dispute-at-olympic-training-center