website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

Saw a post in another community, but now I’m curious…

What do you guys call the action (normally done by kids/teenagers) where someone knocks on a door and runs away before the person can answer it.

In the US, at least in California, this would be called a “ding-dong ditch.”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

20 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

What do you guys call the action (normally done by kids/teenagers) where someone knocks on a door and runs away before the person can answer it.

Some regional variations but generally in the UK, "knock down ginger"

23 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

There might be regional differences, but in my youth it was known as "belletje trekken", which literally means "pulling the little bell" :p 

I don't really see it being done anymore though, and personally I didn't do it that often when I was at the age where most kids do so (like 8-10 years old or so) :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I’ve read that’s it’s called “Nicky Nicky nine doors” in parts of Canada. Is that true @intoronto @orangeman?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 10/27/2023 at 10:36 PM, Olympian1010 said:

In Indonesia, it's called bel iseng ("mischief bell") because doorbells are seen as novelty for kids from poorer neighborhoods. Knocking doors maybe a bit unusual since people here often just hanging around in front of their houses with doors wide open during the day (unless you live in a gated community). I think the last time I saw kids doing this to my house was 8 or 9 years ago, I think kids nowadays prefer to play those tower defense games with their phones lol

Edited by Griff88

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve read that’s it’s called “Nicky Nicky nine doors” in parts of Canada. Is that true @intoronto @orangeman?

Yes, it's known as that. In my part of Canada, anyway.  Ding-dong-ditch makes more sense, though, haha.  

26 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Awesome how this works as a tourism ad for both countries :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!