website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2023

5 hours ago, mrv86 said:

You explianed  pretty good what kind of songs could be used in a "Día de los Muertos" themed contested, because "Dios de los Muertos" (God of the Dead) would be better celebrated with songs regarding Hades, Anubis and such underworld deities.

I would definitely be interested in those though :d 

Some song about being dragged across the River Styx.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Official Announcement

The voting order draw will be held on Sunday, October 29th at 12:00 PDT. The schedule on the first post has been amended to show this change. 

I will introduce the venue for the draw and then hand control of the process over to our draw host @mrv86. We will require volunteers to assist with the process, so please indictae your availability if you'd like to participate in this unique tradition.  

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 10/26/2023 at 3:20 AM, Olympian1010 said:

Official Announcement

I In celebration of this holiday, users will be invited to post up to two songs with a scary, haunting, or "dark" theme (or something that explicitly celebrates Halloween) on October 31st. Reminder: You may choose a song by an artist from your own country, the host nation, or a non-competing nation. Please speak up if you have questions.

P.S. Users who are familiar with the tradition of Devil's Night are invited to "prank" us by posting an out-of-the-box song on October 30th.

Día de Los Muertos: This holiday migrated up the border with Mexico. I'm sure @mrv86 can explain it with much more detail than myself, but essentially, it is a joyful celebration in remembrance of family members and friends who have died. The popular animated film Coco is based on this holiday for those familiar with it. It has become more common to find people celebrating it in California over the last few years, especially on high school or college campuses. In celebration of this holiday, users will be invited to post up to two songs in remembrance of those who have passed away recently and/or long ago on November 1st and 2nd. You may choose song(s) they liked, a song that reminds you of them, or a general remembrance song. Feel free to write a short post explaining your choice. Again, you may choose a song by an artist from your own country, the host nation, or a non-competing nation. Please speak up if you have questions.

The schedule on first post of the thread has been amended in line with the new format. Thanks.

I love the idea, congrats for the initiative! 

It's interesting to know about the Dia de Los Muertos at November 1st, because in Portugal November 1st is a different holiday, a religious one called "Day of All Saints", but people end up doing a similar thing: we go to the cemeteries and put flowers in our family members who passed away to honour them, and (those who are religious) go to a christian mass for the same reason (honouring the death).

Curious fact:  November 1st is also quite a big date in Portugal history. On this day, in 1755, a huge earthquake happen in the ocean nearby the coast of Portugal, strong enough to make many buildings collapse in Lisbon, and causing a big fire due to all the candles that everyone had in their houses and churches as it used to be a "Day of All Saints" tradition.

The fire was so big in the entire city of Lisbon that people end up running to the river to avoid the flames. But, as the earthquake was in the sea, it caused a tsunami that hit Lisbon and killed all those that had escaped to the riverside. The whole disaster killed about 30k people and destroyed completely the center part of Lisbon.

2 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

I love the idea, congrats for the initiative! 

It's interesting to know about the Dia de Los Muertos at November 1st, because in Portugal November 1st is a different holiday, a religious one called "Day of All Saints", but people end up doing a similar thing: we go to the cemeteries and put flowers in our family members who passed away to honour them, and (those who are religious) go to a christian mass for the same reason (honouring the death).

In fact, November 1st is also All Saints Day in Mexico, which has a more Catholic religious element, and in recent times, the commemoration is dedicated to children, while proper Day of the Dead is November 2nd, originally also with religious tones mixed with pre Hispanic rituals in rural and indigenous communities, which have turned (thanks to James Bond & Disney) into a more carnival type of festival in big cities, like a Carmen Miranda Halloween special.

54 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

In fact, November 1st is also All Saints Day in Mexico, which has a more Catholic religious element, and in recent times, the commemoration is dedicated to children, while proper Day of the Dead is November 2nd.

This is similar to how we celebrated those two days at my religious private schools in California. 

My primary school would have a mass on All Saints, with each grade level creating a banner for a particular Saint. There would then be a procession behind them at the start of mass.

My secondary school (high school) celebrated Día de Los Muertos instead, with a prayer service where students could submit names to be read out and remembered. In years where there was a student/teacher/staff death, it would get very emotional. 

Edit: As someone not particularly religious, I did find the various celebrations fascinating.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela