website statistics

Summer World University Games 2021 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

31 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Such names are common in South India especially on the Southern India - Goa, Coastal Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu. I know many people who have 4 and even 5 words in their name. The presence of Portugese can be attributed to that. Stalin, however  is a Tamil surname, the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu state is MK Stalin. 

Really?  Nothing to do with any other :URS Stalin?  :yikes: 

I have always associated South Indian cricketers & musicians with names that do not fit on a single line.  :d

Edited by Grassmarket

12 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Really?  Nothing to do with any other :URS Stalin?  :yikes: 

I have always associated South Indian cricketers & musicians with names that do not fit on a single line.  :d

https://thediplomat.com/2018/08/whats-behind-a-name-indias-stalins/

Unsurprisingly, the occasional naming of sons after Stalin, Lenin, Brezhnev, or Khrushchev in India is usually connected with a love for communism. As for daughters, in Kerala one can even, if very rarely, stumble upon women named Pravda (“truth” in Russian), after the Soviet newspaper

Kerala is also where the first state-level communist government was formed, back in the 1950s. Thus, a few Keralites were named Pravda, Lenin, Stalin, Brezhnev, Khruschev, Mao, Trotsky, or Che Guevara. Some other names were more neutral and related to Russian culture and traditions, rather than communist ideology: Pushkin, Tanya, or Olga. There is even a village in Kerala – yes, of course it is called Moscow – where meetings of the region’s Stalins and Lenins are still being held. 

Aside from Kerala, one can find some Lenins and Stalins in neighboring Tamil Nadu.

Missed it somehow, but :SVK earned yesterday its 3rd medal of the games, 2nd silver.

The W 20km Race Walk Team (from left Ema Hačundová, Hana Burzalová, Alžbeta Ragasová) finished second behind :CHN and ahead of :IND However, It was also the only 3 teams entering the competition ... and yet they still awarded and counted the medals :lol: ...

well, good for us, I guess :p

365437904_181049388321611_74904507713372

USA wins first gold medal in these Games thru Jackson Keaton Jones in the men’s 200 meters backstroke. Averting what could have been a gold medal shutout at the Universiade

Edited by PHI2019

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

Is this the last edition of this nonsense? How does this event survive financially speaking? Like, who even watches it?

They already have hosts lined up for 2025, 2027, and 2029.

In general, I watch a lot of the competition, but the time zone was bad for me this time around. 

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela