website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

34 minutes ago, phelps said:

yes, our TV (sky Italia, I don't know what our public TV did, I never watched them) did show the best throws of that competition (in double screen during the 10kms race, especially after the LJ was over)

and the reporters always updated the situation, giving decent attention to the competition

I'm glad that commentators on TV here don't really update the situation of the field event finals when they aren't shown, that would really take away all of the remaining tension in case they suddenly do show some throws or jumps :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And the new commentator NOS uses for field events is atrocious. He has no technical knowledge and just spends the whole time spewing platitudes, combined with faux enthousiasm. He is really unlistenable as he was commentating on the Tour de France and earlier short track skating. I usually watch Eurosport, and switch channels (belgian, British and occasionally Dutch) when Eurosport goes to commercials or does one of those cringe level interviews.

4 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

And the new commentator NOS uses for field events is atrocious. He has no technical knowledge and just spends the whole time spewing platitudes, combined with faux enthousiasm. He is really unlistenable as he was commentating on the Tour de France and earlier short track skating. I usually watch Eurosport, and switch channels (belgian, British and occasionally Dutch) when Eurosport goes to commercials or does one of those cringe level interviews.

Yeah, NOS has switched to a commentator for field events (who does indeed do cycling and short track as well, sadly), who is trying to create his own 'legend' by absolutely constantly making up weird sentences and wordplays, instead of doing his job and spontaneously have some nice stuff in between :p

It's almost as annoying as a lot of English-language commentators in car racing, where it feels like all of them (except for Martin Haven) have an extreme need of having some recognizable 'logo' as a sentence. "And it's pedal to the metal, and it's go go go go go go!" from one of them at every single start, or "And it's eyes to the lights and foot to the floor!" from another, also at every single start.

I am so super glad Eurosport finally has athletics rights back after six long years, Dutch Eurosport is blessed with a fantastic commentator there (who also does cross-country skiing in the winter and sometimes biathlon), who is already great on his own and even better with his Eurosport co-commentator (a manager of lots and lots of especially middle to long distance runners, so the amount of inside knowledge he has is incredible). They're great in terms of athletics stuff, but they also work amazingly well together, clearly enjoying what they're doing, bashing each other lightheartedly if there's some wrong prediction or something and just overall having fun while informing us viewers of everything we should know.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

Does the NOS show field events?

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Yeah, I saw that Krizsán was projected 4th on the TV, we are getting the TV feed in the stadium. But once the race was over the official results showed up on the big screen without Vetter and a couple of other athletes, so Krizsán was shown as the third placed athlete. They basically showed an incomplete final result for some reason in the stadium after the race was over, the points of the last few finishing athletes in the second 800m heat weren't calculated. Even the Hungarian Eurosport commentators got confused and started thinking it might be final. You can see it in the broadcast that even Krizsán was kinda confused because the crowd went wild. 

it happens because the official results table updates the athletes' scores according to their finish in the 800/1500m

therefore it might happen that someone having a slow run is added to the final results list only a few seconds after someone who just had a fast run but he/she's behind in the ranking

and I agree, it does generate a lot of confusion and false hopes...they shouldn't show the updated scores until they have them all

One thing I forgot to say about yesterday that I truly feel like we might never win our first gold at the athletics worlds. Pars was destined to do it during his peak era and he won in London and at the Euros, but not at the Worlds, only silvers. Now Halász had a very clear chance, but it wasn't meant to be. Somehow this just continues to be the one World title in all of the major Olympic sports that we can't pull off. Now watch Halász win next year in Paris. :d

But yeah, we might just see Katzberg win every world title from now on for a few years. It's very scary how good he already is at the age of 21. He might be the next Fajdek. 

Edited by Vektor

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I'm glad that commentators on TV here don't really update the situation of the field event finals when they aren't shown, that would really take away all of the remaining tension in case they suddenly do show some throws or jumps :d 

also here they don't update anything until it's shown by the tv director (if they think that big throws/jumps will be shown in reasonable time), but as I wrote, they did show all of the 80+ meters throws live or slightly delayed (and in order, not messing it up), so they could keep up with the competition pace and hype and not relegating it just to a 2/3-throw summary once it was all over

1 hour ago, Noorderling29 said:

At least you actually have a stream that actually shows field events :p

CBC decides to show track events for the majority of the session (take for instance the 10,000m), and when the race actually starts to get interesting they switch over to the field events :facepalm:

Edited by Josh

8 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Heike Drechsler was winning gold medals at 36 so it's not that insane - especially that Vuleta still has Paris OG on her mind.

Germany had their golden era in the throwing field events - but the overall German athletics has regressed badly once the last athletes who remember the 1990s training programmes retired.

1) Drechsler was infinitely better than Spanovic. Her PB was infinitely better than Spanovic's PB, so obviously she had much more room for error (age) and it doesn't make sense to compare them. Also doesn't matter what Spanovic "has on her mind". Robert-Michon also has Paris on her mind, doesn't mean that she is a medal contender or can stop ageing.

2) Germany won 1 medal at the 2008 olympics and then, 7 years later, 8 medals at the 2015 world championships. Not a single one of the athletes who won medals in 2015 was in any way relevant in the 90s. Germany could instantly be infinitely better if they would find a way to avoid 80 % of their athletes constantly being injured (Farken, Petros, Vetter, Ansah, Ansah-Peprah, Agyekum, Preis, Lita Baehre, Heß, Röhler, Hofmann, Mayer, Trost, Klein, Klosterhalfen, Meyer, Krause, Mihambo, Eckhardt, Hussong, Schäfer). Mihambo obviously could have sleepwalked to a medal if she would have been healthy and Vetter/Hussong also would have won a medal even at 80 %. Farken, Lita Baehre, Heß, Röhler, Klosterhalfen, Meyer, Krause, Mihambo, Eckhardt, Hussong, Schäfer all could/would have made the top 8 if healthy. Germany also just recently won 23 medals at the U20 european championships, as many as GB, France and Italy combined. The main problems for german athletics are injuries, the transition from junior to senior level and the aversion to using performance enhancing drugs due to ideological reasons. The Netherlands and Norway have far less talent and far less elite athletes, but still normally win more medals because their main athletes (Ingebrigtsen, Warholm, Bol, Hassan) are basically always performing (no injuries). Germany might be the most doping-averse country in the world (maybe next to Japan), thanks to the GDR past. Countries like the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, GB and obviously USA/Russia/China/Kenya/Ethiopia have zero problems with using performance enhancing drugs and of course this means more medals for them. German officials got brainwashed into hurting themselves by categorically refusing to use performance enhacing drugs. Just sad that the taxpayer still has to pay for their "morally"-guided suicide mission. Either you fund elite athletes with tax payer money and try everything to maximize their performance or you accept that it is impossible to win medals without performance enhacing drugs and stop financing a hopeless fight (for medals). Sadly this kind of "magical thinking" (believing in winning medals without performance enhacing drugs) is very prevalent in Germany across all sorts of topics (immigration, climate change). Pretty much all other countries are more pragmatic and more focused on their own interest instead of only caring about what they could do to feel morally superior.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Btw, I am not joking, looking at Katzberg's throws again, his age, his body type, if he keeps improving he might be a generational talent. I am not sure where this came from, I feel like very little was said about him before the Worlds. We saw Fajdek coming during the 2010s, this is far more surprising. Looking at his results, nothing indicated that he will throw over 81 here.