website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

24 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

We don't get TV commercials during live sporting event in public TV over here. Our commentators went RAVING MAD after TV director cut off from hammer right before Nowicki's first attempt to show some Ethiopians dancing on the warm-up track instead. So anyone watching TV could only watch Nowicki's first throw off tape some five minutes later (there was a special hammer cam on streaming though). I know nobody gives a flying hoot about field events these days but that was criminal coverage indeed, they didn't even cut off to lap 7 of the 10,000 race or something but to show some stupid dancing in the warm-up area :facepalm:

You guys keep throwing around concepts like “public transportation” and “public television.” Those are very foreign concepts to Americans :p

I’ve disliked NBC’s broadcast coverage for years. Although, to their credit, they do make the international feeds available for major events. Unfortunately, they started running commercials (at random in the middle of the competition!!!) over those feeds during Tokyo 2020 and Beijing 2022. 

Now, I can’t even escape their broadcast choices by watching the international feed, since World Athletics or the HB are catering to their preferences :facepalm:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Kriszan was, funnily enough, barely even shown on live tv for the whole two days. Would have been so random if she snatched that bronze.

Overall the broadcast quality has been sub par to say the least. I'm so tired off all those stadium from the outside shots and even more of those warm-up/transport/calling room shots (which only ever show runners, because of course).

Honestly I'm fine with warmup/transport/call room shots, as long as they are done in appropriate moments....which they are barely ever done of course :p

I found it nice to see the preparation of the 100m final for example, with the guys preparing their start blocks and everything, instead of just the usual on-screen graphic followed by the official intros.

Stadium shots from the outside in events like this can suck it though, they literally add nothing. No insight in preparations, no building up tension, nothing.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

You guys keep throwing around concepts like “public transportation” and “public television.” Those are very foreign concepts to Americans :p

I’ve disliked NBC’s broadcast coverage for years. Although, to their credit, they do make the international feeds available for major events. Unfortunately, they started running commercials (at random in the middle of the competition!!!) over those feeds during Tokyo 2020 and Beijing 2022. 

Now, I can’t even escape their broadcast choices by watching the international feed, since World Athletics or the HB are catering to their preferences :facepalm:

Become European and get Eurosport where every field event has it's very own stream (available live and on-demand, as streams in 2023 should be) :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, Federer91 said:

European economy and everything else is already built for the country to function. Plus their politicians aren't stealing that much (in contrast of what Western media like to talk about Orban). 

Now Bulgarian politicians are a different breed. With all the stolen money and corruption here in the last 12 years, that went for hotels in Northern Greece, we could probably build 5 such stadiums. Some countries just know their priorities.

There are about 3000 german companies in the hungarian economy. And american, french, korean, chinese companies. They are here for profit and not to build for the country! Just like a banana republic!

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

NBC really did a full-on inquisition with that interview though. I mean…making the guy re-watch the race on a monitor and narrate where it went wrong seems like a step too far to me. Athletes are still people as much as pundits/fans want them to be robots.

Bottom line, it isn’t how I conduct interviews. 

that's what they always do on the Italian TV networks...how do you feel? let's re-watch your race and tell me what's gone wrong/great (depending on the outcome)

finally, what are you going to do at tonigh't party (if it's over and you got some remarkable result)/what do you think you have to do to improve next time (if there's another round or if it's over and you haven't got a good result)

they never go out of this scheme (in every sport)

that's how I really hate those post-races interviews that are only covering the action on the field :facepalm:

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

You got to see something of that? :p

I forgot to turn on the Eurosport Player stream of that specific final. Too bad, because in the main broadcast basically nothing was shown except for a random throw by Fajdek or Nowicki and some replay of a decent attempt by Katzberg (not even his winning throw). And all of a sudden that final was apparently over :p 

yes, our TV (sky Italia, I don't know what our public TV did, I never watched them) did show the best throws of that competition (in double screen during the 10kms race, especially after the LJ was over)

and the reporters always updated the situation, giving decent attention to the competition

Edited by phelps

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

They show a different live calculation in the stadium? Because on TV Vetter was shown as bronze basically the whole way, with Vidts and then Krizsan being close for a bit, but in the last 100 meters or so they took the live standings away from the graphics, so on TV there was never any sense that anything unexpected happened in the fight for bronze...

Yeah, I saw that Krizsán was projected 4th on the TV, we are getting the TV feed in the stadium. But once the race was over the official results showed up on the big screen without Vetter and a couple of other athletes, so Krizsán was shown as the third placed athlete. They basically showed an incomplete final result for some reason in the stadium after the race was over, the points of the last few finishing athletes in the second 800m heat weren't calculated. Even the Hungarian Eurosport commentators got confused and started thinking it might be final. You can see it in the broadcast that even Krizsán was kinda confused because the crowd went wild. 

Edited by Vektor