website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Broadcasters

27 minutes ago, phelps said:

well, now we can choose thanks to Eurosport Player, but until the last time...God bless Slovak TV, because it was the only option in the world to watch Slalom Canoeing qualification runs...:p

by the way, I see that your schedule will be a lot more interesting than the Rai TV's in Italy (will we see anything else than our Volleyball team, Swimming and Cycling if no Italians are fighting for the medals in the other sports? I don't think so...:finger: :facepalm: and in case, it would be those boring things like Dressage, Tennis and/or Gymnastics prelims, which is even worse :nopompom:)...

so, don't underestimate the Slovak TV...you could get something a lot worse than that...:whistle: :rofl:

Wait, your national broadcaster shows sports during the Olympics? :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

not those I'd like to see, but yeah, they do it...:rofl:

Wow, please teach the NOS how that works :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

29 minutes ago, phelps said:

well, now we can choose thanks to Eurosport Player, but until the last time...God bless Slovak TV, because it was the only option in the world to watch Slalom Canoeing qualification runs...:p

by the way, I see that your schedule will be a lot more interesting than the Rai TV's in Italy (will we see anything else than our Volleyball team, Swimming and Cycling if no Italians are fighting for the medals in the other sports? I don't think so...:finger: :facepalm: and in case, it would be those boring things like Dressage, Tennis and/or Gymnastics prelims, which is even worse :nopompom:)...

so, don't underestimate the Slovak TV...you could get something a lot worse than that...:whistle: :rofl:

Honest question: why do you even bother looking at what's on Rai (which this time is rectricted to having only 1 channel showing the Olympics and so of course will have to jump between sports trying to entertain the general public) if you have a gazillion streaming subscriptions, satellite channels and devices? Leave it to those of us who only have access to public tv ( or at best have another screen with Eurosport Player on, when their apps decide to work) to complain if necessary.

P.S: I believe Rio 2016 with full tv rights owned by Rai (tv+streams with very good platform/apps who worked well on all devices) was the best edition ever to follow the Games for >90% of Italians who are not willing to pay the hundreds of euros per year that Sky wanted.

8 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Honest question: why do you even bother looking at what's on Rai (which this time is rectricted to having only 1 channel showing the Olympics and so of course will have to jump between sports trying to entertain the general public) if you have a gazillion streaming subscriptions, satellite channels and devices? Leave it to those of us who only have access to public tv ( or at best have another screen with Eurosport Player on, when their apps decide to work) to complain if necessary.

P.S: I believe Rio 2016 with full tv rights owned by Rai (tv+streams with very good platform/apps who worked well on all devices) was the best edition ever to follow the Games for >90% of Italians who are not willing to pay the hundreds of euros per year that Sky wanted.

because most people (who aren't hardcore sports fans) only watch the Olympics on the rai (free) channels...

and if most people can't watch the most beautiful and exciting sports there, how could we ever hope to increase the fan base on one side and, more important, the number of youngsters practicing some sports if they don't even know their existence?

sure, for what concerns myself I can even deny the existence of the Italian TV...I have 100 options to satisfy my desire and my taste, but we can't only look all the times exclusively at our personal interest...

so, I'd really like to see our National broadcaster showing all the most important sport events with the best possible coverage on the TV channels (and full coverage online through a dedicated app, possibly not as messy as Eurosport Player), doing what they are supposed to do...the public service...:evil:

p.s. Rio 2016 rai's online streams weren't even available on a dedicated app on TV screens (they were only for PC and mobile devices) and had an oscene 576p picture quality...

I wouldn't call that a "wonderful viewing experience" (it was the best ever only because it was the first time the people had the chance to choose what they wanted to watch...but that's all (and it's not enough to me)...

I hope Eurosport Player's service will be better this time, but I fear they will find the way to mess it up with the streams quality and a few spoilers here and there...:mumble:

Honestly I watched lots of, for example, field hockey on tv - Rai2 if I'm not mistaken, not streaming- on tv during Rio 2016, but you can't expect them to prioritize it against an Italian who is fighting for a medal (even in a sport you don't like) this time with Eurosport/Discovery having full rights... and I think you are bigly exaggerating as always because, in fact, you do not watch it- i'll count the number of sports they will show at least one hour of and it will be probably close to the maximum

21 minutes ago, phelps said:

p.s. Rio 2016 rai's online streams weren't even available on a dedicated app on TV screens (they were only for PC and mobile devices) and had an oscene 576p picture quality...

How many young people watch TV instead of stuff on their mobile devices though? :p 

If you truly want to reach young people, one might assume 30-second highlight videos on TikTok might be enough..

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

How many young people watch TV instead of stuff on their mobile devices though? :p 

If you truly want to reach young people, one might assume 30-second highlight videos on TikTok might be enough..

in Italy there are still many youngsters watching traditional free tv channels...;)

don't forget that we're the last Nation in the European Union for what concerns the digital development (even if we are also the Country with the highest number of active mobile phones per person in the entire continent)...

Hm, it looks like for the first time in many years (maybe since 2004?) the Hungarian TV will only have one channel dedicated to the Games. We usually had two for the Summer Games, but now only M4 Sport has Olympic events listed. It's not the end of the world, we will have three channels overall (M4 Sport, Eurosport 1, Eurosport 2), which is more than what we had for Rio because Eurosport didn't have the rights. 

Also, lol, M4 Sport has the Archery ranking rounds listed as a live broadcast on Day 0. I wonder if they forgot that the ranking rounds never have a live feed. (or maybe they will get a live feed this year?) 

And unsurprisingly they aren't listing the softball matches on the first two days despite the fact that they don't have anything else to broadcast live at that time. :lol: