website statistics

Rowing WR World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

5 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Gracenotes numbers are always....unreflective of the actuality.

They are definitely a bit hit-and-miss - with the emphasis on the "miss" part this far out from the games - but that doesn't stop various media using the Gracenote projections to create a narrative about how well a team should be doing and that narrative can be difficult to shift. 

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Gracenotes numbers are always....unreflective of the actuality.

In fairness, Gracenote's predictions are usually pretty accurate but they don't take into account certain things that aren't seen in pre-Olympic statistics.

For instance, they have underestimated GB medals for the last three Olympics because GB don't make as much of an effort in world championships in the middle of the Olympic cycle compared to other countries and concentrate more on just the two weeks of the Games.

2 hours ago, phelps said:

as you might see, no boat from lanes 5 or 6 has qualified 

On the other hand, because of the conditions, they did order the boats according to the results from the previous round, with the best team having lane 1, second best lane 2, etc. So the boats on lanes 5 and 6 were the outsiders anyway.

45 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

On the other hand, because of the conditions, they did order the boats according to the results from the previous round, with the best team having lane 1, second best lane 2, etc. So the boats on lanes 5 and 6 were the outsiders anyway.

a) also the previous rounds suffered the same problem...it's not just today, it's all week long that they're racing in totally unfair conditions

all of today's races were basically determined by the draw in the preliminary heats

b) we are not talking of a small percentage of possible upsets (as it would be normal), we're talking of 0, absolute 0 boats from 33% of the field (2 lanes out of 6) and also lane 4 just saw 6 qualifiers and only in 3rd place (which means lanes 5 or 6 in the final = 0 medal chances at all in these conditions)

c) also among the top seeds, 13 wins in lane 1 and only 3 in lane 2 is unprecedented, it's an insane percentage of superiority from 1 position over another when we're talking of the best 2 crews (on paper) of the championship, the main gold & silver medal contenders

that's never happened before, even in some of (in)famous places where it's quite normal racing in unfair conditions

basically, it's like watching the good old 200m indoor in athletics, when the final result was more often than not a scale from lane 6 down to 1 (with lanes 2 and 1 with 0 chances of a medal in the history of the discipline)

3 minutes ago, avlar said:

Do they expect better conditions on Satrurday?

Because I see better placed boats form the SF on the lanes 3 and 4 in the finals.

https://d3fpn4c9813ycf.cloudfront.net/pdfDocuments/WCH_2023_1/WCH_2023_1_ROW-------------------DAY-000900--_C52_20230909X5980.PDF

This can still change. Yesterday and today, they made the decision to change the lanes about an hour befor ethe competition started.

Edited by EselTheDonkey

22 hours ago, Ogreman said:

Its complicated. If you dont have any boats already qualified you can qualify 2 boats gender doesnt matter.

I thought I understood the rules for these fully but I just checked the qualifying document and it (now) says something completely different to what I thought. Anyway the above statement is true.

I thought this was not the case in last qualifying cycle. I looked up and found an article. In continental qualifiers, we qualified only 1 boat although we had 2 boats in qualifying positions, as a NOC is allowed to qualify only 1 boat from continental regatta. 
Has the rules changed for this term? 

https://www.espn.com/olympics/rowing/story/_/id/31403165/tokyo-2021-indian-rowers-arjun-lal-jat-arvind-singh-qualify-olympics-double-sculls-event?platform=amp