website statistics

Rowing WR World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

16 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

I thought this was not the case in last qualifying cycle. I looked up and found an article. In continental qualifiers, we qualified only 1 boat although we had 2 boats in qualifying positions, as a NOC is allowed to qualify only 1 boat from continental regatta. 
Has the rules changed for this term? 

https://www.espn.com/olympics/rowing/story/_/id/31403165/tokyo-2021-indian-rowers-arjun-lal-jat-arvind-singh-qualify-olympics-double-sculls-event?platform=amp

For Tokyo, NOCs could only qualify one boat at the continental qualifier. For India that went to the Men's Lightweight Double Sculls because they finished higher than the Single Sculler.

Going into Paris the qualification criteria has been changed so any nation that didn't qualify at the World Champs can now qualify two boats whilst any nation that has already secured 1 quota can get a second boat qualified at the continentals. 

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

For Tokyo, NOCs could only qualify one boat at the continental qualifier. For India that went to the Men's Lightweight Double Sculls because they finished higher than the Single Sculler.

Going into Paris the qualification criteria has been changed so any nation that didn't qualify at the World Champs can now qualify two boats whilst any nation that has already secured 1 quota can get a second boat qualified at the continentals. 

Then why for Tokyo ROC did qualified two womens boats during European qualifiers?

I thought the rule was that 1. if you want to qualify two boats at a continental qualifier they had to both win their respective event and you can't have any previous boats qualified but according to the current version of the qualifying document neither of those are now the case.

https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Documents/Olympic-Games/Paris-2024/Paris2024-QS-Rowing.pdf?_ga=2.162527548.1298230565.1694115107-1188876414.1686749288

This seems to suggest that if you don't have any boats already qualified you can qualify two as long as their within the quota and if you have one boat already qualified you can qualify more than one extra boat if multiple boats win. Although as I say this was not my understanding of the rules.

26 minutes ago, Ogreman said:

I thought the rule was that 1. if you want to qualify two boats at a continental qualifier they had to both win their respective event and you can't have any previous boats qualified but according to the current version of the qualifying document neither of those are now the case.

https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Documents/Olympic-Games/Paris-2024/Paris2024-QS-Rowing.pdf?_ga=2.162527548.1298230565.1694115107-1188876414.1686749288

This seems to suggest that if you don't have any boats already qualified you can qualify two as long as their within the quota and if you have one boat already qualified you can qualify more than one extra boat if multiple boats win. Although as I say this was not my understanding of the rules.

Does anybody know if this rule is per gender or overall?

36 minutes ago, Ogreman said:

If you already have 1 boat qualified, you can only win 1 extra quota at the continental championship. You can enter multiple boats to the continental championship but if more than 1 end up in a qualifying position, the NOC have to decide which quota they will accept and the rest would be reallocated. 

4 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

If you already have 1 boat qualified, you can only win 1 extra quota at the continental championship. You can enter multiple boats to the continental championship but if more than 1 end up in a qualifying position, the NOC have to decide which quota they will accept and the rest would be reallocated. 

Bro I linked the qualifying document for a reason. I know that is what I understood the rule but it explicitly says this isn't the case.

Edited by Ogreman

1 hour ago, rybak said:

Then why for Tokyo ROC did qualified two womens boats during European qualifiers?

Digging into the archive, there was an exception in the qualification document which allowed you to qualify two boats at the continental champs where the nation wins both events and had not secured any quotas at the World Champs - Russia/ROC won both the women's single sculls and the women's lightweight double sculls so qualified both boats.