website statistics

Sprint Canoeing ICF World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Excellent work! Thanks

So, each NOC is eligible for a maximum of 18 athletes, right?

Does that mean :GER can still qualify in WC1 from the European championships?

Yes, both :HUN and :GER will go for those two European women's C1 quotas. It's the most stacked field at the European qualifiers in terms of top European canoeing nations because Europe is less dominant in that discipline. 

Edited by Vektor

3 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Excellent work! Thanks

So, each NOC is eligible for a maximum of 18 athletes, right?

Does that mean :GER can still qualify in WC1 from the European championships?

Yes, but they must use a different athlete to obtain the quota

4 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

In C2? No, I don't think so. But there's still a chance for a quota place at a European qualification event next year.

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Probably not, but you do have another chance to qualify at the European Qualifiers in May 2024.

Thanks. I'm always negative about our chances when only one quota is available via continental event. But lets wait and see what will happen.

I actually think this one of the best qualification systems. The ICF has maximized the hell out of their quotas. Yes, it’s a bit convoluted and confusing, but ultimately it provides a fair amount of opportunity with a very limited pool of quotas.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I actually think this one of the best qualification systems. The ICF has maximized the hell out of their quotas. Yes, it’s a bit convoluted and confusing, but ultimately it provides a fair amount of opportunity with a very limited pool of quotas.

Have long believed that the IOC and IFs should be looking at 'bang for your buck' on quotas. As far as possible have as much qualification razzamataz as possible, and as many events as possible without dropping quotas and changes.

The mixed archery pairs and mixed relay triathlon being a pretty good example. No extra quotas, no lost chances, extra event with its own rhythm. And another day of venue tickets if that's a good money raiser.

I think the ICF have done a pretty solid job on that front, whatever you think of KayakX, it's another chance on the big water with no quotas really wasted. you could push for a slalom relay (really a slalom aggregate), or try and find the quotas to get one Canoe marathon event in, but IOC should be more generous on events if the IF can think of clever ways to use their quotas

2 hours ago, Werloc said:

Not even our K2 athletes know if they got a quota or not, honestly, a very tragic qualification system :d 

Every media outlet announced that they failed to qualify... It will be laughable it we actually qualified for Paris lol 

5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Have long believed that the IOC and IFs should be looking at 'bang for your buck' on quotas. As far as possible have as much qualification razzamataz as possible, and as many events as possible without dropping quotas and changes.

The mixed archery pairs and mixed relay triathlon being a pretty good example. No extra quotas, no lost chances, extra event with its own rhythm. And another day of venue tickets if that's a good money raiser.

I think the ICF have done a pretty solid job on that front, whatever you think of KayakX, it's another chance on the big water with no quotas really wasted. you could push for a slalom relay (really a slalom aggregate), or try and find the quotas to get one Canoe marathon event in, but IOC should be more generous on events if the IF can think of clever ways to use their quotas

For example (yes, it's a pet subject) - it's farcical that the golfers can't get a few more events with exactly zero extra quotas required. A men's and women's four ball, and a mixed foresomes, seeded on the individual stroke play result, with the top eight teams playing a speed-matchplay format (9 holes, 2 points a hole, 10 points the winning line , 9-9 ties broken with one club nearest the pin on 10th).

You are talking a max extra 54 holes per player if they play BOTH foursomes and fourballs, three more events, and golf gets to showcase its other major format, matchplay.

13 hours ago, Vektor said:

Olympic quotas

"Q" - athlete quota

"HQ" - host quota

"D" - doubling-up, reallocation

"M" - maxing out, reallocation

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
MK1 59 8 :POR :HUN :GER :AUS :CZE :BEL :ESP :SWE :ARG :FRA    
Q Q M D Q Q Q Q Q HQ    
MK2 11 :POR :HUN :ESP :AUS :CZE :GER :LTU          
Q Q D Q Q D Q Q Q Q Q Q D Q                    
MK4 40 :GER :HUN :UKR :AUS :DEN :LTU :ESP :SRB :CAN :CHN    
Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q                
MC1 22 6 :CZE :ROU :GER :POL :HUN :BRA :MDA          
D Q Q Q Q Q Q          
MC2 16 :GER :CHN :ESP :FRA :HUN :ROU :ITA :CZE        
Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q                
WK1 59 7 :NZL :DEN :HUN :SRB :AUS :CAN :GER :POR :SWE :CRO :BUL :ESP
D D D D Q Q M Q Q Q Q Q
WK2 12 :DEN :POL :GER :BEL :FRA :SWE            
Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q                        
WK4 40 :NZL :POL :ESP :CHN :AUS :SRB :HUN :GER :NOR :CAN    
Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q                
WC1 22 6 :CUB :ESP :CHN :USA :CHI :CAN :UKR :POL :FRA      
D D Q Q Q Q D Q HQ      
WC2 16 :CHN :ESP :CAN :GER :HUN :CUB :MDA :UKR        
Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q                

Total MK MC WK WC
:GER 17 6 3 6 2
:ESP 15 6 2 5 2
:HUN 15 6 3 4 2
:CHN 13 4 2 4 3
:CAN 12 4   5 3
:AUS 11 6   5  
:POL 8   1 6 1
:SRB 8 4   4  
:DEN 6 4   2  
:FRA 6 1 2 2 1
:UKR 6 4     2
:CZE 5 3 2    
:LTU 5 5      
:NOR 4     4  
:NZL 4     4  
:POR 4 3   1  
:SWE 4 1   3  
:BEL 3 1   2  
:MDA 3   1   2
:ROU 3   3    
:CUB 2       2
:ITA 2   2    
:ARG 1 1      
:BRA 1   1    
:BUL 1     1  
:CHI 1       1
:CRO 1     1  
:USA 1       1

Thank you so much for your table!!!

I'm checking my own and have a couple of questions.

Regarding the K2 boats that have athletes also in K4 I don't think they are elegible, you can't qualify half a boat.

So in the K2 male would qualify: :POR:AUS:CZE:GER:SRB:LAT
and on the K1 male would qualify: :POR:HUN:CZE:BEL:ESP:SWE+:FRA

I don't understand why Argentina has a quota on this table - there are 6 quotas for the K1 plus the French quota, right?

I guess it has to do with the 40 + 11 + 8 but i'm not sure what does that mean.

thank you so much :)

8 hours ago, Werloc said:

Not even our K2 athletes know if they got a quota or not, honestly, a very tragic qualification system :d 

I think it's ok for us, fans, to have a couple of questions.

But athletes and federation staff to not read and understand their own documents bazzle me. 

For me it's very clear that Lithuania can not have a quota on K2 because  Mindaugas MALDONIS was on the K4 boat.