website statistics

Sailing WS World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s not like modern pentathlon is nailing it in the universality, promotional, or television departments either. 

Why do you mean about "universality"? An African country, Egypt, has a legit chance winning Olympic and WCh medals, which is something you don't see in many Olympic sports. The promotion sucks, but that's true about a lot of Olympic sports, just look at sailing atm. At the very least pentathlon doesn't require any additional venues, and it will be even cheaper to organize once the hosts won't have to provide horses for an event. I have been watching old Olympic footage recently and I think modern pentathlon improved the most in the past 20-30 years compared to all the Olympic sports. The horse lottery is the worst part about it now and that will be gone after Paris. I don't know what else people expect from this sport, it has evolved so much to make it more watchable. 

47 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Why do you mean about "universality"? 

There are a lot more countries involved in sailing than in modern pentathlon.

48 minutes ago, Vektor said:

At the very least pentathlon doesn't require any additional venues, and it will be even cheaper to organize once the hosts won't have to provide horses for an event. 

Yes, but the cost of participation for athletes and emerging nations is step. It takes a lot of specialized training. Obstacle course is supposed to solve part of that problem, but there has yet to be a major change in participating countries at those test events.

I love seeing Egypt’s success in the sport, but modern pentathlon is pretty much non-existent on the continent outside of Egypt. I believe the last non-Egyptian to compete at the Olympics was a South African in 2000. There were 7 African NOCs represented in sailing at Tokyo 2020 (6 at Rio 2016).

I would also agree that modern pentathlon has made positive changes in recent Olympic cycles. However, the UIPM has also made some poor business decisions and is experiencing a disconnect between executives and athletes (although they aren’t alone there by any means). 

In my opinion, sailing is in the danger zone. However, it has just enough going for it to remain above boxing, weightlifting, and modern pentathlon for the time being.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Whatever happened to that German rider?

- She (Annika Schleu) and her coach had to pay a fine

- Her coach still is the national team coach

- Annika married (her new name is Annika Zillekens), got pregnant and plans to end her career after the 2024 olympics

- The horse (Saint Boy) seems to be fine and even has his own song

- The federation introduced new rules: After the 2024 olympics the riding part will be replaced by a parcours, until then riders are only allowed to use the whip 3 times during their ride

- She won gold in the team event at the 2023 european games

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

21 minutes ago, dodge said:

Every second thread here is someone looking to get rid of an established Olympic sport, or complaining that an established Olympic sport is under threat 😂

People here are pretty intense. What else to say. :lol:

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, Illya said:

Who can explain how does the competition formula in women's dinghy work? How many athletes qualify in Gold and Silver fleet?

there are 110 competitors divided into yellow and blue fleet

all of them will sail 5 preliminary races, then the top half of the standings will go in the gold fleet and the bottom half will go in the silver fleet

once again, there will be 5 gold/silver fleet races, then the top 10 will go in the final medal race, where the medallists will be decided

the best 16 Nations in the final ranking will get an Olympic Quota Place

3 minutes ago, Illya said:

so it means that 55 sailors will qualify to Gold Fleet?

yes, it should be 55 each fleet (like it is in the preliminaries)

however, I'm a bit surprised they used only 2 fleet with so many sailors, normally they use at least 3 with so many participants