website statistics

Sailing WS World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

:NED Van Aanholt/Duetz in the womens skiff haven't reached their usual standard due to injury and apparently also a disqualification in one of the races yesterday. Glad to see they are at least back in top 10, after ending the day in 11th yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

:NED Van Aanholt/Duetz in the womens skiff haven't reached their usual standard due to injury and apparently also a disqualification in one of the races yesterday. Glad to see they are at least back in top 10, after ending the day in 11th yesterday.

Annette Duetz's knee injury comes at a very unfortunate time indeed. But to be honest: the Swedish boat of Bobeck/Netzler is very impressive this tournament. At the men's side Lambriex/Van der Werken still have the lead.

On 8/11/2023 at 12:25 PM, Vektor said:

Yeah, sailing appears to be a mess of a sport. If you can't follow 90% of the action at the World champs on TV, maybe that sport doesn't belong on the Olympic program. This isn't even a case where you only miss unimportant parts of the competition. The medals and even the gold medal can be decided based on races that you are unable to watch. We are in 2023, I don't know how this is acceptable for an Olympic sport. How can sailing can away with this while pentathlon is in danger because someone punched a horse. 

Because someone punched a horse. 

40 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Because someone punched a horse. 

It’s not like modern pentathlon is nailing it in the universality, promotional, or television departments either. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Whatever happened to that German rider?

Coach got a suspension. I think the rider was largely seen as a victim of the format. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s not like modern pentathlon is nailing it in the universality, promotional, or television departments either. 

To be fair, they are trying - possibly at the expense of the soul of the sport - no longer the cavalry officer's escape, closer now to an infantryman's escape.

Without being facetious, I would have thought a) GPS technology, b) drone cameras and c) computer graphics should make sailing a readily televisual sport. The GPS should allow very clear graphics of where on a course a boat is, immediately providing some narrative structure, backed up by decent drone footage.

29 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Without being facetious, I would have thought a) GPS technology, b) drone cameras and c) computer graphics should make sailing a readily televisual sport. The GPS should allow very clear graphics of where on a course a boat is, immediately providing some narrative structure, backed up by decent drone footage.

^ Pretty much how OBS covered sailing during Tokyo 2020. I liked what was offered and found myself watching sailing more than I expected.