website statistics

Sailing WS World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

10 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Prepping for the action to get underway, have stumbled across a couple of quota predictions - presented here for information only and not as a representation of my own expectations :d

Men's 49er

"Virtually Certain to Qualify":

:NED Lambriex / Van De Werken

:ESP Botin / Trittel

"Likely to Qualify":

:NZL McHardie / McKenzie

:POL Buksak / Wierzbicki

:GBR Peters / Sterritt

:CRO Sime Fantela / Mihovil Fantela

:USA Ian Barrows / Hans Henken

They then have 16 nations fighting it out for the remaining 3 quotas.

Women's 49er FX

"Virtually Certain to Qualify":

:NED Odile Van Aanholt / Annette Duetz

:BRA Martine Gracel / Kahena Kunze

:SWE Vilma Bobeck / Rebecca Netzler

:USA Stephanie Roble / Maggie Shea

"Likely to Qualify":

:ESP Tamara Echegoyen / Paula Barcelo

:BEL Isaura Maenhaut / Anouk Geurts

:NOR Helene Naess / Marie Ronningen

They then have 15 nations who could potentially fill the remaining 3 berths. 

Source: International 49er Class Association » 2023 World Sailing Championship

maybe the :USA in that area of the women's 49er FX are a bit overestimated...

and surely :ITA is in the mix above :BEL and :NOR 

9 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Nacra 17 potential quotas:

"Almost a Lock"

:ITA Ruggero Tita / Caterina Banti

"Should Qualify"

:GBR John Gimson / Anna Burnet

:FIN Sinem Kurtbay / Akseli Keskinen

:GER Paul Kohlhoff / Alica Stuhlemmer

"Likely to Qualify"

:NZL Micah Wilkinson / Erica Dawson

:NED Laila van der Meer / Bjarne Bouwer

:SWE Emil Jarudd / Hanna Jonsson

Fighting it out for the remaining 2 quotas, they have 9 nations including :AUS:AUS:BRA:ESP and :CHN

Source: Nacra17.org » 2023 World Sailing Championship

:ARG is a bad miss by them, and :AUS:BRA and :ESP imho are ahead of the 3 crews listed as "likely to qualify" (:AUS actually "should qualify" if the waves are not that big and the wind isn't too strong)

p.s. :ITA "almost a lock" OK, but it might well be Ugolini/Giubilei instead of the Olympic Champions (:GBR also is "almost a lock")

1 hour ago, phelps said:

yes, unfortunately it's only a minimum effort by the sh*tty world sailing...if they can't cover at least their main event happening once every 4 years, they'd be better close everything down...:facepalm: :hairpull:

Yeah, sailing appears to be a mess of a sport. If you can't follow 90% of the action at the World champs on TV, maybe that sport doesn't belong on the Olympic program. This isn't even a case where you only miss unimportant parts of the competition. The medals and even the gold medal can be decided based on races that you are unable to watch. We are in 2023, I don't know how this is acceptable for an Olympic sport. How can sailing can away with this while pentathlon is in danger because someone punched a horse. 

22 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Yeah, sailing appears to be a mess of a sport. If you can't follow 90% of the action at the World champs on TV, maybe that sport doesn't belong on the Olympic program. This isn't even a case where you only miss unimportant parts of the competition. The medals and even the gold medal can be decided based on races that you are unable to watch. We are in 2023, I don't know how this is acceptable for an Olympic sport. How can sailing can away with this while pentathlon is in danger because someone punched a horse. 

the problem with world sailing is exclusively about money, they're almost going bankrupt (actually, they went bankrupt during the pandemic, but they were somehow saved by the IOC and some not so transparent financial help)

still, I think that at least your crown jewel event should be covered in full...and this is not happening right now (4 years ago they had a daily feed with many races covered live also during the preliminary stages, not only the medal races)

Let's be honest sailing is the America's Cup. I mean most of the time Olympic sailing is a borefest. Quite uninspiring and more often than not, not very spectacular. The kitefoil is a farce and how the heck was that event added in?

1 hour ago, Joshi said:

Let's be honest sailing is the America's Cup. I mean most of the time Olympic sailing is a borefest. Quite uninspiring and more often than not, not very spectacular. The kitefoil is a farce and how the heck was that event added in?

Can't say about kite, but I personally prefer Olympic sailing to America's cup.

1 hour ago, Joshi said:

I agree (in part)

America's Cup is just on another level...and I must say that I'd like to drop a few of the current classes to get the AC class at the Olympics (if not the proper AC boats -too big, too many people on board- at least the Sail GP format is perfectly feasible, imho)

however, I think that the most important thing in sailing coverage is a very reliable tv director that knows what he's doing

most times they just can't understand what's going on and so it all becomes a mess

honestly, I enjoyed a lot the last 2 Olympics...the tv coverage was quite good

back to today, already a few surprising results in day 1 of the world champs...

from an Italian perspective, happy to see Tita/Banti in good shape, winning their first 2 races

not so good, instead, the other crews, especially the mixed 470, where we expect to make at least the medal race (and it looks already impossible after only 2 races :facepalm:)

3 classes have already finished their preliminary races and from tomorrow they will be divided into gold/silver/bronze fleet, with only those on the gold fleet competing for the medals and the Olympic Quota Places

the situation so far...

men's Skiff (49er), 10 OQP available, 9 races completed, 6 to go before the medal race

1. :NED

2. :ESP

3. :POL

4. :SUI

5. :GBR

6. :CRO

7. :IRL

8. :NZL

9. :USA

10. :AUT

everything still very open, even if :NED and :ESP look to be the clear favourite for gold and silver and the top 7 have built quite some margin over the rest of the fleet for the medal race and the OQPs

women's Skiff (49er FX), 10 OQP available, 9 races completed, 6 to go before the medal race

1. :SWE

2. :BEL

3. :AUS

4. :GBR

5. :NED

6. :USA

7. :ESP

8. :NOR

9. :NZL

10. :GER

:SWE already with the gold medal in their hands, :BEL:AUS and :GBR look to have a slight advantage over the rest of the field for the "minor" medals and then we have a fleet divided into more small groups with a hole in between them (5th to 9th, 10th to 13th, 14th to 17th) but all of them still fighting for the last OQPs

those from the 20th place on, look to be already out of contention for all the targets

mixed Multihull (Nacra 17)9 OQP available, 9 races completed, 6 to go before the medal race

1. :ITA

2. :GER

3. :GBR

4. :NED

5. :ARG

6. :FIN

7. :ESP

(8. :ITA)

9. :NZL

10. :SWE

:ITA are back to their usual dominant form (they've won all the races but 1 -when they were 2nd- so far) and are likely to win another world title

:GER look strong and have a small margin over :GBR in the fight for silver and bronze

:NED and :ARG are also still in contention for the medals and all the top 5 look safe for the OQP

the remaining 4 OQPs should go to those currently placed up to the 10th place, with only :DEN still having a remote chance to make the medal race, but it's a big if, as they are already 11 points behind :SWE and have the 3rd Italian crew (2020 world champions Bissaro/Frascari) in between

the next eligible crew :AUT are already 31 points off the current 10th place

Edited by phelps