website statistics

National Sports of Countries

Olympian1010

10 minutes ago, hckošice said:

:SVK

Last Year 2021, The Ministry of School, Science, Research and Sports of Slovak Republic has published a survey on the popularity of sports: Slovaks chosed 25 sports :p

The Most Popular and followed Sports

Translation

Reveal hidden contents

obrázok.png

The Complete Ranking

Translation

Hide contents

Ice Hockey               Floorball                          Rowing                           

Football                    Archery                           Luge                               

Skiing                       Chess                              Speed Skating                                                 

Cycling                     mma                                Judo  

Tennis                       Inline Skating                Fencing   

Figure Skating         Bodybuilding & Fitness   Modern Pentathlon                      

Athletics                   Boxing                               Taekwondo                                         

Biathlon                    Mountains Climbing        Surfing                           

Volleyball                  Billiard                              Sport Climbing  

Aquatics Sports       Car Racing                      Curling

Basketball                E-Sport                            Wrestling             

Gymnastics               Weightlifting                   Sailing     

Handball                    Baseball                          Bobsleigh & Skeleton

Canoeing                   Motobike Sports             Softball             

Dance Sport             Golf                                 

Shooting                   Thai Box                          

Field Hockey            American Football

Table Tennis            Flying Disc                                         

F1                             Rugby                                                    

Equestrian                Not Classified Sports (I add only the Olympic sports)                         

Karate                       Triathlon                         

Badminton                                 

obrázok.png

field hockey at 3.69 are just people who need their hockey fix during the summer right ?

:ESP (2020) 

https://www.culturaydeporte.gob.es/dam/jcr:07b62374-bfe9-4a65-9e7e-03a09c8778c3/encuesta-de-habitos-deportivos-2020.pdf

People who had followed sports on television, radio or Internet during the year

image.png

image.png

1) Football : 53.7% *

2) Tennis : 31.6%

3) Basketball : 25.2%

4) Cycling : 23.1%

5) Moto Racing : 19.4%

6) Auto Racing : 18.4%

7) Athletics : 12.8%

8) Swimming : 9.5%

9) Handball : 8.9%

* Doesn't seem that high to me :question:

:LTU

Favourites amongst fans:

• 1st: Basketball 
  • 2nd: Football 
  • 3rd: Figure Skating 
  • 4th: Athletics 
  • 5th: Dance Sports 
  • 6th: Autosports 
  • 7th: Boxing
  • 8th: Tennis
  • 9th: Swimming

Most popular sport activity amongst amateurs:

• 1st: Running/Athletics
  • 2nd: Weightlifting
  • 3rd: Swimming

Most popular sport activities by number of professional athletes:

• 1st: Athletics
  • 2nd: Rowing
  • 3rd: Basketball
  • 4th: Football
  • 5th: Gymnastics
  • 6th: Orienteering
  • 7th: Autosports
  • 8th: Swimming
  • 9th: Chess
  • 10th: Motorbike sports
  • 11th: Boxing
  • 12th: Draughts 

8 hours ago, Bearas said:
  • 7th: Autosports
  • 10th: Motorbike sports

This surprises me, I've been watching both sports for more than half my life and I can't name a single Lithuanian off the top of my head :p 

Not doubting you, by the way, just expressing my surprise :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 3/10/2022 at 4:36 PM, hckošice said:

Must be like the complete dutch and :IND / :PAK Embassy employees :p

On 3/10/2022 at 4:35 PM, De_Gambassi said:

field hockey at 3.69 are just people who need their hockey fix during the summer right ?

OK this is some curiosity. Maybe some die hard hockey fans who watch both ice and field hockey. 

Just to clarify Field Hockey is NOT one of the  popular sport in India in the last 2 decades. In most websites they may still write Field Hockey but no there is nothing like popularity. 

The sport is popular in Punjab, Haryana, 2 small northern states, then Odisha, Delhi, Jharkhand , and few other cities including Bangalore. Rest most people only know that hockey is about hitting the ball in the goal with a hockey stick . I never played or watched the sport in person , its played in very few schools and colleges except for those places. Don't remember the last time the last time there was a district level competition in field hockey in my district, even netball, ballbadminton, squash, tennikoit , throwball has those events here.

Now coming to how much hockey is shown on TV. For the youth to be interested there needs to be something shown. Despite 15 odd sports channels hockey is shown during world cups, world juniors , asia cup apart from multi sport games ( Indian matches only with the FIH commentators )  on 1 channel, if there is something live  in other sports like a cricket match or EPL the sport won't be shown at all on TV instead those same sports may be shown in multiple channels with multiple languages commentary.

There will be streaming of it online but I won't waste my money on subscription for field hockey, let me be honest, I don't like the sport that much, lost the interest over the years and despite the highs of Tokyo I'm more than comfortable with watching it during multi sport events only. 

The only sports that you can watch on Indian TV regularly is Cricket, Badminton, Kabaddi , Football, Tennis,  Motor Sports, WWE (Nope, no athletics either) 

:PAK Don't even talk about this sport there . Since Imran Khan came to power the sport has died as he has cut the funding. The players are now part timers who practice only before tournaments . Don't ask if the sport is shown on their TV or apps, non existent. 

8 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

OK this is some curiosity. Maybe some die hard hockey fans who watch both ice and field hockey. 

Just to clarify Field Hockey is NOT one of the  popular sport in India in the last 2 decades. In most websites they may still write Field Hockey but no there is nothing like popularity. 

The sport is popular in Punjab, Haryana, 2 small northern states, then Odisha, Delhi, Jharkhand , and few other cities including Bangalore. Rest most people only know that hockey is about hitting the ball in the goal with a hockey stick . I never played or watched the sport in person , its played in very few schools and colleges except for those places. Don't remember the last time the last time there was a district level competition in field hockey in my district, even netball, ballbadminton, squash, tennikoit , throwball has those events here.

Now coming to how much hockey is shown on TV. For the youth to be interested there needs to be something shown. Despite 15 odd sports channels hockey is shown during world cups, world juniors , asia cup apart from multi sport games ( Indian matches only with the FIH commentators )  on 1 channel, if there is something live  in other sports like a cricket match or EPL the sport won't be shown at all on TV instead those same sports may be shown in multiple channels with multiple languages commentary.

There will be streaming of it online but I won't waste my money on subscription for field hockey, let me be honest, I don't like the sport that much, lost the interest over the years and despite the highs of Tokyo I'm more than comfortable with watching it during multi sport events only. 

The only sports that you can watch on Indian TV regularly is Cricket, Badminton, Kabaddi , Football, Tennis,  Motor Sports, WWE (Nope, no athletics either) 

:PAK Don't even talk about this sport there . Since Imran Khan came to power the sport has died as he has cut the funding. The players are now part timers who practice only before tournaments . Don't ask if the sport is shown on their TV or apps, non existent. 

You see. This is really surprising, I was always like it is your national sport :dunno: I learn something new every day I guess

51 minutes ago, hckošice said:

You see. This is really surprising, I was always like it is your national sport :dunno: I learn something new every day I guess

Oh well happens people think we Indians are crazy about hockey, in reality it isn't .

And yeah the ministry has clearly stated in 2020 that Hockey is NOT the national sport of the country . So as per the law India has no national sport not even a unofficial national sport.