website statistics

National Sports of Countries

Olympian1010

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Polls are good, they are better than (educated) guesses anyway.

Here's one for Germany, asking in which sport Germans have a strong interest :

https://www.marktmeinungmensch.de/studien/die-beliebtesten-sportarten-der-deutschen/

Sans titre.png

To no one surprise, Fussball gets the more votes, then it's getting more surprising with ski jumping as a number two, athletics still a popular sport, etc.

Ski jumping being this high in Germany is surprising? How? :d 

I wonder how many countries would realistically not have football in at least the top-2 in terms of popularity.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Yeah, as a person who lived in France for a while and met several French friends, I can safely say that in :FRA nothing can beat le foot :p followed distantly by Rugby (a sport they unsuccessfully tried for multiple ocassions to explain me and introduce to me :d) and les Barjots aka national men Handball team

You're old, it's not les barjots anymore since the 90's :raspberry:

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Ski jumping being this high in Germany is surprising? How? :d 

To me at least, but I don't follow the sport much ;)

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I wonder how many countries would realistically not have football in at least the top-2 in terms of popularity.

In Europe, I can only think about Irlande (and that's arguably). Outside of it ? Canada, the US, India maybe, perhaps some caribbeans nations (Jamaica ?), and most oceanian nations (Australia to start with).

"Which of the following sports do you follow the most, for example in media or by visiting events and competitions? You can select a maximum of three sports."

The first column, translated, is:

- Football

- Formula 1

- Speed skating

- Cycling

- Darts

- Tennis

- Athletics

- Swimming

- Car racing (not F1)

- Basketball

- Boxing

image.png

Full PDF with research, but of course in Dutch:

https://www.nederlandse-sportraad.nl/documenten/publicaties/2019/12/05/onderzoek-sportbeleving

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

image.png

So all these years were only a lie :(

It's not even really on public TV except for (I think) the final of the national league and a few minutes in the weekly sports roundup :p 

Possibly world championships are shown in highlight format, or maybe on a paid channel, but I really have no idea :d 

And boccia of all things beating out ice hockey or mountainbike or something. What.

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It's not even really on public TV except for (I think) the final of the national league and a few minutes in the weekly sports roundup :p 

Possibly world championships are shown in highlight format, or maybe on a paid channel, but I really have no idea :d 

It's funny, because when you hear promoters of hyper marginal sport like korfbal here, they always talk of their sport in other countries like something super popular, right next to football, but it's rarely the case :p

Same with honkbal (love that name)

54 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Australia now (2021)

E4trKA_VIAIavzU?format=jpg&name=medium

I'm so jealous of the Australian sport landscape with four different football codes ranked there :wub: Half of the Australian population is at least "neutral passionate" (???) about AFL and tennis.

All right, that's 3 countries, only 200 to go :cheerlieconfused:

:SVK

Last Year 2021, The Ministry of School, Science, Research and Sports of Slovak Republic has published a survey on the popularity of sports: Slovaks chosed 25 sports :p

The Most Popular and followed Sports

Translation

Spoiler

Ice Hockey

Football

Skiing

Cycling

Tennis

Figure Skating

Athletics

Biathlon

Volleyball

Aquatics Sports

Basketball

Gymnastics

Handball

Canoeing

Danc Sport

obrázok.png

The Complete Ranking

Translation

Spoiler

Ice Hockey               Floorball                          Rowing                           

Football                    Archery                           Luge                               

Skiing                       Chess                              Speed Skating                                                 

Cycling                     mma                                Judo  

Tennis                       Inline Skating                Fencing   

Figure Skating         Bodybuilding & Fitness   Modern Pentathlon                      

Athletics                   Boxing                               Taekwondo                                         

Biathlon                    Mountains Climbing        Surfing                           

Volleyball                  Billiard                              Sport Climbing  

Aquatics Sports       Car Racing                      Curling

Basketball                E-Sport                            Wrestling             

Gymnastics               Weightlifting                   Sailing     

Handball                    Baseball                          Bobsleigh & Skeleton

Canoeing                   Motobike Sports             Softball             

Dance Sport             Golf                                 

Shooting                   Thai Box                          

Field Hockey            American Football

Table Tennis            Flying Disc                                         

F1                             Rugby                                                    

Equestrian                Not Classified Sports (I add only the Olympic sports)                         

Karate                       Triathlon                         

Badminton                                 

obrázok.png

12 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

It's funny, because when you hear promoters of hyper marginal sport like korfbal here, they always talk of their sport in other countries like something super popular, right next to football, but it's rarely the case :p

Same with honkbal (love that name)

Sorry to disappoint but honkbal is just baseball, not yet another hyper-marginal Dutch sport.

1 minute ago, hckošice said:

:SVK

Last Year 2021, The Ministry of School, Science, Research and Sports of Slovak Republic has published a survey on the popularity of sports: Slovaks chosed 25 sports :p

The Most Popular and followed Sports

Translation

Reveal hidden contents

The Complete Ranking

Translation

Reveal hidden contents

Huh, here I was thinking all of Slovakia is lined up for all the canoe slalom competitions :p