website statistics

European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

35 minutes ago, rybak said:

With just one quota per event it was too hard to achieve quota.

Yeah, but they have Kauzer, Savsek, Tarcelj, if i remember correctly. They always win some medals at WC stages. But true, win only one spot available, its always a lottery. 

I thought I’d share my colleague’s article on kickboxing, since the sport was the topic of some discussion the last few days: https://discoverthegames.com/the-engine-of-kickboxing-runs-full-steam-ahead-towards-the-olympics/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I don't see what kickboxing would add to the olympics table ? Money ? No ; Fans ? Not really ? Something new and exciting ? No And it's not like you can have the sport at the olympics without adding a load of extra quotas.

Maybe if god-awful TWD was to be kicked out of the olympics (one man can only hope), they  might find a way to remplace it, but that's it.

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I thought I’d share my colleague’s article on kickboxing, since the sport was the topic of some discussion the last few days: https://discoverthegames.com/the-engine-of-kickboxing-runs-full-steam-ahead-towards-the-olympics/

well, mr. President says thay have 7 different options, but imho it should be down to 2 (maybe 3): Full Contact and Point Fighting are the only disciplines that would deserve a bit of attention and could be really entertaining for the combat sports fans.

K1 would be the 3rd (actually, the main, as it's their most famous discipline), but this would make it just "another Boxing", with the Olympics not featuring the best Pro's (for many reasons, from money to the technical aspects of a 15-day tournament).

and as someone already wrote here, it's losing its appeal quickly and deeply, thanks to the raise of MMA (which shouldn't be included in the Olympic schedule for many reasons)

the rest is...well, better to leave it where it is :rolleyes: :whistle:

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

I don't see what kickboxing would add to the olympics table ? Money ? No ; Fans ? Not really ? Something new and exciting ? No And it's not like you can have the sport at the olympics without adding a load of extra quotas.

Maybe if god-awful TWD was to be kicked out of the olympics (one man can only hope), they  might find a way to remplace it, but that's it.

I have to disagree on a couple of points.

fans? many, especially in certain parts of the World (from USA to Brazil, from South-East Asia -the core of any combat sport- to Eastern Europe, from a few Western European Countries (Italy, and Germany -at least their foreign communities- above all)

something exciting? yes, for the combat sports fans those disciplines are exciting (and point fighting could be also for newcomers, more than the other disciplines under WAKO management...not only, there might be less "manipulation" than in the other events)

adding extra quota places? apart from the fact that the number of athletes at the Games should be increased already with the sports now in charge, if Kickboxing would eventually replace the incorrigible farce named Boxing, some quotas could even be saved (5 men, 5 women weight classes, 16 fighters per event = 160 total athletes, way less than the current boxers)

not saying that I want Kickboxing in the Olympic program (actually, I'd like more the return of Karate, Kumite only of course...and many more martial arts could be interesting, even if they're not so well spread at the top of the sport part like Kickboxing), just to point out that it's pretty much possible to replace the incorrigible cheaters with another combat sport...and without making it difficult to the organizers.

Edited by phelps

37 minutes ago, phelps said:

something exciting? yes, for the combat sports fans those disciplines are exciting (and point fighting could be also for newcomers, more than the other disciplines under WAKO management...not only, there might be less "manipulation" than in the other events)

That's the important part. Combat sports fans are allready well served by the olympic program as it is. Adding Kickboxing would only marginally improving that. If you want to bring newcomers to these sports, only some form of MMA would do it.

I’m a little late here with my final thoughts, but this edition was a bit of “mixed bag” for me.

It was great being able to watch most of the sports and events. I did enjoy much of what I managed watch. Unfortunately, that’s where the enjoyment ended. The results system was awful. The event didn’t seem to draw much of crowd, except for rare instances. The sports program was also hit or miss for me. The Games just had a weird energy throughout. 

I don’t know where this event goes in future. I like the idea of using it as a major Olympic qualification event. I’d love to see it become a proper continental multi-sport games (with most of the Olympic program), but that still seems unlikely.  

Anyways, it was swell Poland, but the swelling has gone and it’s time to move on :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m a little late here with my final thoughts, but this edition was a bit of “mixed bag” for me.

It was great being able to watch most of the sports and events. I did enjoy much of what I managed watch. Unfortunately, that’s where the enjoyment ended. The results system was awful. The event didn’t seem to draw much of crowd, except for rare instances. The sports program was also hit or miss for me. The Games just had a weird energy throughout. 

I don’t know where this event goes in future. I like the idea of using it as a major Olympic qualification event. I’d love to see it become a proper continental multi-sport games (with most of the Olympic program), but that still seems unlikely.  

Anyways, it was swell Poland, but the swelling has gone and it’s time to move on :d

The result site went down for hours is bad, and somehow the flow of the site is weird. Even the ugly result site of SEA Games has better flow.

Also choosing Brightcove player for the europeangames.tv is a bad choice, in mobile browsers you can't choose the quality so the quality changes throughout the event :lol:

What's with this random count and then waving the fight off by the referee at roughly 8 minutes in the video? :d 

https://europeangames.tv/videos/3564114/boxing-mens-80kg-final-bout

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!