website statistics

Swimming

Just now, NearPup said:

Ilya Kharun has acquired :USA citizenship.

I’ll let everyone panic for a minute.

Okay, now that a few people had heart attacks: he plans to continue swimming for Canada.

This has been one thing I've been low-key worried about for awhile. I think my lack of trust over Condorelli and Sanchez has led me to this. Great to hear he plans on swimming for Canada. Long term or just for this quad?

5 minutes ago, james89 said:

This has been one thing I've been low-key worried about for awhile. I think my lack of trust over Condorelli and Sanchez has led me to this. Great to hear he plans on swimming for Canada. Long term or just for this quad?

Obviously we can’t know for sure long term, but he’s completely locked in for Paris.

My understanding is that the change of sporting citizenship rules have gotten tougher for swimming since Condorelli and Sanchez made the switch, so this is likely long term.

Him getting US citizenship is also just not something I would read anything into, he’s lives there (well, here since I also live in the US xD ) most of his life and, ironically, acquiring US citizenship actually makes it easier for him to leave the US long term if he wants to train in Canada after college (it’s very easy to lose a Green Card while citizenship is very much permanent). Personally, being able to move back and forth between Canada and the US was one of my big motivations for getting naturalized as an American citizen.

Edited by NearPup

So: as of this year it requires three years off international competitions to change sporting citizenship, which means that if Kharun wants to compete for the US in LA he would need to skip the next two worlds. Seems unlikely to me tbh.

On 4/3/2024 at 2:30 PM, NearPup said:

Obviously we can’t know for sure long term, but he’s completely locked in for Paris.

My understanding is that the change of sporting citizenship rules have gotten tougher for swimming since Condorelli and Sanchez made the switch, so this is likely long term.

Him getting US citizenship is also just not something I would read anything into, he’s lives there (well, here since I also live in the US xD ) most of his life and, ironically, acquiring US citizenship actually makes it easier for him to leave the US long term if he wants to train in Canada after college (it’s very easy to lose a Green Card while citizenship is very much permanent)

I’m reading a SwimSwam article on the matter, theoretically if he wanted to switch back to the United States in time for the LA 2028 quad he could, although he’d have refrain from swimming internationally for three years. But a decision to switch nationalities is permanent, and there’s no guarantee that he’ll make the US Olympic team so who knows. A SwimSwam user (mind you I take everything users on there say with a grain of salt, but in case they are telling the truth I decided to mention it) also noticed that Kharun wore USA Swimming attire at Canadian World Trials last year. If he’s long term choosing Canada as his country, it’s a bit strange to be sporting another countries attire.

Edited by Josh

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I’m reading a SwimSwam article on the matter, theoretically if he wanted to switch back to the United States in time for the LA 2028 quad he could, although he’d have refrain from swimming internationally for three years. Also a change is permanent, and there’s no guarantee that he’ll make the US Olympic team so who knows. A SwimSwam commentator (mind you I take everything users on there say with a grain of salt, but in case they are telling the truth I decided to mention it) also noticed that Kharun wore USA Swimming attire at Canadian World Trials last year. If he’s long term choosing Canada as his country, it’s a bit strange to be sporting another countries attire.

We also don't really know everyone's motivations either - I just think it's a bit sus that he hasn't been participating in the relays and just does individual events. Again everyone's motivations and long term goals are different so let's see how it pans out. 

On 3/30/2024 at 3:10 PM, Josh said:

No Ruck and Kharun. 

I’ve also noticed that the Ekk siblings will be there, personally I’m hoping that none of them qualify for the Canadian team for Paris (despite their talent) considering the comments that they’ve made … 

Looks like they're both at the TYR Pro Swim Series instead. Going to be a busy week of swimming.

New SB for Oleksiak in the heats of the women’s 200m freestyle at the Canadian Open! 2:00.91, which is a pretty solid improvement (almost two and a half seconds) on her 2:03.27 registered at the TYR Pro Swim Series Westmont abou ta month ago. Hopefully she can drop more time in the final.