website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2024

Totallympics

On 1/8/2024 at 6:18 AM, Dragon said:

Do we know how many people will compete in Gangwon who previously competed at the Beijing Games 2 years ago?

I had some time, and so I looked through the current entries (of course, athletes can still withdraw/DNS from events). There are two athletes who competed in Beijing 2022 before competing at Gangwon 2024.

Ski Jumping - Anezka Indrackova :CZE (30th in 2022)

Snowboard - Lee Chaeun :KOR (18th in halfpipe 2022)

NOTE: I checked the entries against an archived version of the Beijing 2022 results system, so mistakes are possible.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I was reading the "Competition Rules and Format" report for biathlon, and I noticed an interesting quota limitation. NOCs will be allowed to enter four athletes per gender in the Individual, but only two in the sprint. I have no idea why the IBU and/or IOC made that decision, but the document is very clear about it @heywoodu @RobtheAggie

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 girls in Ski Jumping Training 1 and 16 in Training 2 finished with 0 points and Comazzi of ITA ahead of them in 15th place with epochal 0.9 points :p https://olympics.com/gangwon-2024/en/results/ski-jumping/results-women-s-normal-hill-training-trno-0100sj-.htm

Edited by hckošice

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I was reading the "Competition Rules and Format" report for biathlon, and I noticed an interesting quota limitation. NOCs will be allowed to enter four athletes per gender in the Individual, but only two in the sprint. I have no idea why the IBU and/or IOC made that decision, but the document is very clear about it @heywoodu @RobtheAggie

That is a really odd rule.  The start list should be very interesting to look at. 

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

That is just really odd indeed. Normally the individual is the event where some exotic athletes don't take part, because it's simply quite long, and so the sprints usually have more athletes. But if this goes even for the top nations, only two athletes per gender in the sprint really devalues the entire competition, that would just be....well, nonsense.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Meanwhile on the sliding track, it looks more and more like the women's monobob is indeed going to be the least open competition of all: Maja Voigt :DEN definitely looks like she's going to run away with this, as one would have expected beforehand.

And Latvia is still very much on course for at least 3-4 skeleton medals, where 2 golds + 2-3 other medals wouldn't even be surprising at all. Super strong team!

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I like that the sliding athletes are given a gratuitous amount training runs. The YOG is meant to be a bit of a learning/familiarization experience after all.

It's kind of assuming that there will be three "dead" events on the alpine skiing program :p