website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

Any chance yet of more info on which women will compete in the mountainbike?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Any chance yet of more info on which women will compete in the mountainbike?

It will be on the website the minute we get the full breakdown.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

17 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

It's nice that a woman is a flagbearer, but when are we going to see a black woman carrying the Brazilian flag across the stadium? All of the women who have been selected at the Olympics were white, and now for the Pan Ams, another white woman. 

I don't think it's entirely fair to call her "another white woman" when she's the first one to be our flag bearer in 18 editions of the Pan American Games (+ an Olympic champion!). Also, Sandra Pires was clearly selected as Olympic flag bearer in 2000 for winning our first gold medal among women, while Yane Marques in 2016 was an odd choice, but kinda understandable when many others where competing in the first days (including, for instance, Sarah Menezes). If a black woman deserved to be chosen at the Rio Olympics, that was Fabiana, but unfortunately I think Volleyball started at the day after the ceremony. I hope she's considered for 2020 if she plays next year (but, again, not likely since it's a team sport with competition starting Saturday).

For Lima, I was wishing for Isaquias to be our flag bearer, but I think he might be selected for Tokyo...

18 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

It's nice that a woman is a flagbearer, but when are we going to see a black woman carrying the Brazilian flag across the stadium? All of the women who have been selected at the Olympics were white, and now for the Pan Ams, another white woman. 

Would a black man be ok too? One would imagine the chosen athlete should be the most suitable, independent on colour, gender or who has been chosen before :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I know it’s probably way to early to ask, but do you guys like the live blog and articles we’ve published about  2019 Pan American Games on our website? Is there anything you’d like to see more of, less of? Any specific information you want (within reason)?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Even though the women's volleyball competition will happen after the Olympic qualifiers, Brazil is sending a different team here, mostly with young players.

I was sure a couple months ago that Peru would win a medal but not anymore. Even teams like Colombia seem to have a better level.