website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

33 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So apparently there was some private military group hired by someone to launch a coup against Maduro. They were confronted before they even got into Venezuela. From what I’ve read, 6 dead, and a few more captured (including 2 Americans). This story is confusing and just breaking, so I don’t know how true any of that is.

Sounds like a very poor man's version of Bay of Pigs invasion? :lol:

Is Kim Jong-un alive or is it his duplicate? Internet is baffled
Kim Jong-un made a public appearance and rubbished the rumours about his death and ill health. The internet is still not convinced.

Is it Kim Jong-un or his body double? (Photo: Twitter/jenniferatntd)
Kim Jong-un put the rumours about his ill health and death to rest by turning up at an opening ceremony of a fertiliser factory on May 1. The Supreme Leader of North Korea cut the ribbon and inaugurated the factory. However, it appears the internet is not convinced that it really was Kim Jong-un.

His sudden return has led to the internet speculating whether it was Kim Jong-un or his body double who attended the event. Netizens took to Twitter to share photos of Kim Jong-un's latest appearance and compared footage with his previous pictures.

They pointed out differences in physical features such as his teeth and ears.

Twitter user Jennifer Zeng shared several pictures to highlight the differences. "Is the Kim Jong-un appearing on May 1 the real one?," she wrote in her tweet.

Former member of the British Parliament Louise Mensch also posted a series of tweets on the matter. "It is not the same person," she wrote in a tweet while sharing the viral pictures of Kim Jong-un.

Netizens are totally baffled. Twitter is flooded with posts comparing his old pictures and the recent ones.

Rumours about Kim Jong-un's ill health and death started doing the rounds after he missed the birthday celebrations of state founder Kim Il Sung on April 15.

Several reports also suggested that he underwent a heart surgery.

So what has happened to Kim Jong In? Is he still alive or is he dead? Well Kim Jong In did appear in a public ceremony but then the person that appear have different features compared to the original Kim Jong Un. This is getting very interesting now.

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Denmark's population is roughly Manhattan, Brooklyn and Bronx combined :p I don't believe even such a left-wing tube like New York Times can be that ignorant to compare a country of 330 million to a country of 5.8 million. Or maybe they are? If Denmark had a population of 330 million I bet the McDonald's job would be paid less than 7 bucks/hour :lol:

33 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Denmark's population is roughly Manhattan, Brooklyn and Bronx combined :p I don't believe even such a left-wing tube like New York Times can be that ignorant to compare a country of 330 million to a country of 5.8 million. Or maybe they are? If Denmark had a population of 330 million I bet the McDonald's job would be paid less than 7 bucks/hour :lol:

Logic would suggest the larger country would have a larger economy (which it does), and therefore be able to pay its workers more (which it doesn’t). The larger country (population and land mass) should also have a better social support system since it has more resources (which it doesn’t). 

I also just realized the LA metro area has twice the population of Denmark :yikes:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Logic would suggest the larger country would have a larger economy (which it does), and therefore be able to pay its workers more (which it doesn’t). The larger country (population and land mass) should also have a better social support system since it has more resources (which it doesn’t). 

I also just realized the LA metro area has twice the population of Denmark :yikes:

Larger economy with large population has bigger bargain power. Enterprise could easily hire low-cost manpower as many poor people exist ( many rich people exist too but not bothering the Macdonald hiring ).

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

What Vic Liu said, basically a bigger population means you can find immediate replacement if one complains over a lower salary. So you hold onto a job or else there are like 15 ppl ready to take it. It doesn't work that way in less populated country.

An uncle of my friend worked on the high cranes in USA back in the 90s. He said even African-Americans didn't want to work for the salary that was offered and also Mexicans (Latinos). This was a job for people from Eastern Europe like Poland who accepted lower pay that was still huge if counted on Polish money. And that was over 20 years ago (in Nevada and Arizona).

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

What Vic Liu said, basically a bigger population means you can find immediate replacement if one complains over a lower salary. So you hold onto a job or else there are like 15 ppl ready to take it. It doesn't work that way in less populated country.

An uncle of my friend worked on the high cranes in USA back in the 90s. He said even African-Americans didn't want to work for the salary that was offered and also Mexicans (Latinos). This was a job for people from Eastern Europe like Poland who accepted lower pay that was still huge if counted on Polish money. And that was over 20 years ago (in Nevada and Arizona).

This is true in states that ban unions, or don’t have strong labor laws. Democratic states have much higher required minimum wage requirements (closer to Denmark) generally between $12.50 and $15 USD. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Every eligible voter in California will be allowed to vote completely by mail for the November elections. In person polling will also be offered, but I’ll definitely go with the mail-in ballot this time.