website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Bloomberg had two ads during Super Bowl that I saw, I read somewhere he skips iowa & NH primaries as irrelevant and will make the big push later on. In fact it's not for the first time I read that Iowa and NH are basically only important because of their timing and in general they're not as important in the grand voting scheme at all.

8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Bloomberg had two ads during Super Bowl that I saw, I read somewhere he skips iowa & NH primaries as irrelevant and will make the big push later on. In fact it's not for the first time I read that Iowa and NH are basically only important because of their timing and in general they're not as important in the grand voting scheme at all.

He's all in on super tuesday and it will be interesting to see how it works out.

You could always discuss how important they are (and it may also be very different), but it has been the kickstart of some winning campaigns throughout time, and especially Iowa is seen by many pundits up there ranking just below super tuesday as it can create a major buff.

But well. History is one thing. We can't predict what will happen and what it will cause.

But Bloomberg not focusing on those states could just as much be a matter of realisation. He entered at a point where other candidates had already met a ton of Iowans, meaning that he would be behind from the start. By dropping those 4 states (Nevada and South Carolina as well), he has more time touring the next states (and posting millions into ads). It's not the first time somebody tries with this strategy (Giuliani did pretty much the same in 2008 though he was on the earlier ballots), but it's hard to say.

20 minutes ago, Agger said:

He's all in on super tuesday and it will be interesting to see how it works out.

You could always discuss how important they are (and it may also be very different), but it has been the kickstart of some winning campaigns throughout time, and especially Iowa is seen by many pundits up there ranking just below super tuesday as it can create a major buff.

But well. History is one thing. We can't predict what will happen and what it will cause.

But Bloomberg not focusing on those states could just as much be a matter of realisation. He entered at a point where other candidates had already met a ton of Iowans, meaning that he would be behind from the start. By dropping those 4 states (Nevada and South Carolina as well), he has more time touring the next states (and posting millions into ads). It's not the first time somebody tries with this strategy (Giuliani did pretty much the same in 2008 though he was on the earlier ballots), but it's hard to say.

People like Bloomberg, but no one wants to vote for him. At least that’s what I can tell.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

People like Bloomberg, but no one wants to vote for him. At least that’s what I can tell.

The same was said about Trump four years ago. "Who's gonna vote for this clown?". And the rest is history.

If Bloomberg wants to mirror Trump's run then I wouldn't be surprised if he actually makes it all the way while the Dems will continue to bicker about "electability" and lack of diversity of their candidates. They've wasted enough time on in-house fighting already and Bloomberg will simply wait them over.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

The same was said about Trump four years ago. "Who's gonna vote for this clown?". And the rest is history.

If Bloomberg wants to mirror Trump's run then I wouldn't be surprised if he actually makes it all the way while the Dems will continue to bicker about "electability" and lack of diversity of their candidates. They've wasted enough time on in-house fighting already and Bloomberg will simply wait them over.

Except that Bloomberg has to get those same people to like him for that happen. Plus, his a Super Bowl ads get jack shit. Most people hated them.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

https://twitter.com/ARobertsjourno/status/1224443166473932810/photo/1

And the first results from satelite caucuses coming in :p

I wonder if we have something from the 3 in Europe (interestingly enough one is in Georgia)

Edit: 

Paris and Glasgow are in as well

Edited by Agger

MSNBC started their coverage of the Iowa Caucuses with anchors forgetting the difference between a shot put and a javelin :wacko:

Popular vote means almost nothing in the Iowa Caucus by the way :(. There’s a super complicated process the party uses to appoint the candidate they want.

Caucuses close in 10 minutes, unfortunately I won’t be around for the first results since I’ll be recording TWU. I’ve already seen some interesting exit polls.