website statistics

Boxing IOC Olympic Qualifier 1 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

20 minutes ago, avlar said:

2012 Olympics was a total disaster. So many cases, but of course I remember Khitrov - Ogogo the best. With a level score they gave victory to Ogogo. But after that found out that Olympic website showed not only the total score, but also points awarded by every single judge. And no one judhe gave more points to Ogogo but - onlly level scores or in favour of Khitrov. How did they solved it? They simply hid that information at the website!!!

As for me, if 99% of the times fans from any country can claim a robbery - is the best evidence of awful scoring system and work of judges )

I remember that Seoul 1988 was also a huge scandal. Then Roy Jones Jr. lost to the host representative in the final after the scandalous verdict.

As an example of how difficult judging is. Theres 5 judges here and not one of them are the same for all 3 rounds. 

I hope they ditch 10-9 as soon as possible 

IMG_0707.png

43 minutes ago, copravolley said:

Diego Lenzi won against the Spaniard in 92 kg. Italy will have at least 2 QO fights on Monday. Tonight I'm still counting on Carini and Charaabi to win. I think that 2 QO for Italy is realistic here.

You make me remember Maximus Decimus Meridius with "spaniard".

8 hours ago, copravolley said:

I remember that Seoul 1988 was also a huge scandal. Then Roy Jones Jr. lost to the host representative in the final after the scandalous verdict.

That one was a biggie.  One judge from Morrocco was quoted in the US magazine Sports Illustrated saying that Jones won easily, but that he put down Park Si-hun as the winner because he thought a 5-0 decision would have embarrassed the host country.

20 hours ago, hckošice said:

Never heard in my life about boxing judges which would favour a Slovak boxer over USA (especially a former world champion and kinda USA poster boy.)

+ I watched the bout life on Olympic Channel, and you know, when even both their announcers (usually USA biased) called it fair call I am quite surprised to read this from you. but, Sure, ok, it is your oppinion and you are entitled to have it.

Bandi won both first 2 rounds fairly (again both OC commentators admitted it), in the last Gonzalez was clearly much much better but it came too late for him and Bandi knew after the 2 rounds he do not need to risk anymore and at the end he did the job and kept his win.

Only Gonzalez is here to blame for being extremely passive in both first rounds and underestimated Bandi, definitely not the judges, which in opposite were surprisingly pretty fair and not "fall" under the name of the favorite and stronger/more important country.

Yeah ok, I rewatched this fight. Still think Gonzalez probably deserved to win but it was very close and wasn't clearly wrong. 

To be clear my macro take on the judging throughout qualifying is that (other than host country bias which has existed at every boxing tournament ever) the judging has been remarkably unbiased. It just hasn't been very good. 

On the commentary thing I don't think yer man is that good a judge of boxing fights. I have watched many a fight where it feels he seems to be commentating on an entirely different fight to what I'm watching. To be fair I have thought Nicola Adams has been fairly insightful, the other three of them I'm not so sure about.

Lastly my own judging abilities aren't very good, I mentioned the Csemez Gonzalez fight because I had been surprised by the decision and then I had also seen others elsewhere be surprised by the decision. It is completely fair to disregard my opinion on judging decisions in specific fights.