website statistics

Fencing FIE World Cup 2023 - 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

10 hours ago, Mecki83 said:

Not for the first time...also no German teams in 2016 (but then it was only 4 team competitions) and last medal was in 2012. 

In fact, things could have looked much better without Leonie Ebert's injury and Colin Heathcock and Alexandra Ndolo's change of nation.

But Germany has really lost touch with the world leaders in recent years

I can understand what you feel because at the beginning German team was quite good in women's epee, but then both Ndolo and Germans really lost the level of fencing and it comes to what we see. 

43 minutes ago, avlar said:

We have to be careful with our wishes.

Katsiadakis and his EcCom considered Olympic qualification reform. They established a special team to deal with this question... led by Katsiadakis himself.

And came to... nothing.

But one of the proposals was to reduce teams to 2 fencers - not to enlarge team tournament but to award more individual quotas.

In my oppinion - 2-member teams would be a total disaster - completely another discipline. Bit it is just my oppinion.

Ya I would definitively *hate* this...

Fencing has really great team events. I would hate to see it change. It's also an extremely fun event to actually contest as an amateur (I did a little bit of fencing in university)

Having two fencer teams or, god forbid, a mixed weapon team event would not be good at all.

51 minutes ago, avlar said:

We have to be careful with our wishes.

Katsiadakis and his EcCom considered Olympic qualification reform. They established a special team to deal with this question... led by Katsiadakis himself.

And came to... nothing.

But one of the proposals was to reduce teams to 2 fencers - not to enlarge team tournament but to award more individual quotas.

In my oppinion - 2-member teams would be a total disaster - completely another discipline. Bit it is just my oppinion.

They could do only mixed teams:

Option a: 1 or 2 female Sabre/foil/epee + 1 or 2 male Sabre/foil/epee fencers -> 3 team events

Option b: 1 male/female epee fencer + 1 male/female Sabre fencer + 1 male/female foil fencer -> 2 team events 

More nations that can realistically win a medal (= better tv ratings) + less athletes -> win-win for the IOC

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

They could do only mixed teams:

Option a: 1 or 2 female + 1 or 2 male Sabre/foil/epee fencers -> 3 team events

Option b: 1 male/female epee fencer + 1 male/female Sabre fencer + 1 male/female foil fencer -> 2 team events 

I honnestly much prefer the status quo (where qualifying to the Olympics is extremely hard but where we at least have a full set of events) to this.

And as was mentioned earlier in the thread, I think most of the most egregious qualifying situations can be fixed by flipping the priority of the continental quotas with the at large world ranking quotas.

Fencing also happens to have pretty good universality already. Just last Olympics :EST and :HKG won their only gold medals in Fencing, and both :EST and :JPN won their first ever fencing gold in a team event.

Edited by NearPup

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

And as was mentioned earlier in the thread, I think most of the most egregious qualifying situations can be fixed by flipping the priority of the continental quotas with the at large world ranking quotas.

Just checked the consequences of such a change:

Women:

Sabre: unchanged

Foil: unchanged

Epeeunchanged

Men:

Sabre: :GER in, :CAN out

Foil: :KOR+:HKG in, :POL+:CAN out

Epee: :KOR in, :CZE out

Big winner of such a change would have been :KOR. Would have been very bad for :CAN.

12 minutes ago, Mecki83 said:

Big winner of such a change would have been :KOR. Would have been very bad for :CAN.

I am very aware that change would be bad for :CAN (in general, not just this year)

Yeah, Canada's team chances right now pretty much rely on the United States to rank in the top 4 and then make sure we finish in the top 16.

The exception of course is women's team foil, but that will likely regress back to the mean once this generation retires.

2 hours ago, Illya said:

I can understand what you feel because at the beginning German team was quite good in women's epee, but then both Ndolo and Germans really lost the level of fencing and it comes to what we see. 

A very strange situation with this Ndolo... I would understand her if the German women's epee were very strong and she would not qualify for the team... This was the case, for example, with Boudiaf in France-Algeria and Moellhausen in Ita-Bra. And in Ndolo's case, she was the best German fencer. She could count on qualifying in the team + individual but now she will only have a chance for a medal in individual event. Secondly, the German federation is certainly better organized and financed than the Kenyan one. A very strange thing...

Edited by copravolley

But she is qualified for Paris, which she wouldn't be yet, if she were still fencing for Germany. In this case, she would only be third best European out of those not qualified in the team event. So from her point of view, it wasn't exactly a mistake.

Edited by EselTheDonkey