website statistics

Women's Water Polo Tournament at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Benolympique said:

I already don't understand why water polo only has 10 women's teams, while all the other team sports have 12.

Until Tokyo it used to be just 8 teams, so at least it is somewhat better now. To be honest though, other than the one of Italy/Hungary/Canada who will miss out, the only other worthy team is banned Russia.

Women's water polo not being developed in Serbia/Croatia/Montenegro really hurts the sport I think, but Croatia has had some decent results in youth categories in recent years so maybe they can become bigger. France also has improved in recent years, but still far away from the other big European teams.

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Because, the sport allready has ten teams more than it deserves.

With breaking, 3x3 basketball, and other ridiculous 'sports' being added to the Olympics, water polo should be the least of your worries...

13 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

With breaking, 3x3 basketball, and other ridiculous 'sports' being added to the Olympics, water polo should be the least of your worries...

I only speak about women's water polo. Last year, France was ranked 9th at the world championships with a playing base of 500 members. This tells me everything I need to know about the complete lack of global reach of this sport and that it should not be anywhere close to be an olympic event.

Doesn't mean there are no other disciplines as much under deserving as women's water polo (specially with LA 28 additional sports)

1 minute ago, De_Gambassi said:

I only speak about women's water polo. Last year, France was ranked 9th at the world championships with a playing base of 500 members. This tells me everything I need to know about the complete lack of global reach of this sport and that it should not be anywhere close to be an olympic event.

Doesn't mean there are no other disciplines as much under deserving as women's water polo (specially with LA 28 additional sports)

Maybe some federation (even bigger like France) should invest for slash all for children and keep more invest for this, leaving less talented swimmer still in sport.

13 minutes ago, Adriano said:

Maybe some federation (even bigger like France) should invest for slash all for children and keep more invest for this, leaving less talented swimmer still in sport.

The french swimming federation has more than 300.000 members, around 60% are female.

It's simply a minuscule discipline.

7 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

The french swimming federation has more than 300.000 members, around 60% are female.

It's simply a minuscule discipline.

And probably 500 swimmers in national  champs, with great swimm ability, but slow. Instead of ending Carter fastly, they should propse changing the discipline.

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Because, the sport allready has ten teams more than it deserves.

well, that's a bit harsh :cry:

Ok, the game has no depth, but the top 8 teams in the world can always put a good show on ;)

however, there are a lot of team sports that have the same problem

On 2/10/2024 at 7:35 PM, maestro said:

I haven't watched the match. However from what I see, Gaudreault started the match and was excluded with substitution in the middle of the third quarter.

A red card also means that she can't play in the quarterfinal. I'm not sure if this one match ban could be appealed or not.

To update on this. Gaudreault was indeed excluded with substitution, but what I wrote in the second paragraph seems to be a rule just for LEN tournaments. In World Aquatics tournaments, a red card brings a one match ban only if it is without substitution. Gaudreault is available to play in the quarterfinal.