website statistics

Women's Water Polo Tournament at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

6 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

That's actually a pretty good result for your girls, we beat you much easier last month at the European Championships :dunno:

in France I have the impression that in water polo and field hockey France will remain as weak as ever. why are we not progressing??

:GBR get battered 10-22 in the end. We looked promising in parts but couldn't convert our chances compared to Italy. Italy were always gonna win the group so our best chance of avoiding Hungary or Australia in the playoffs is to beat Canada. 

Easier said than done IMO. Anyways, while Italy are the favourites to win pool, I wouldn’t count out Canada, lately they’ve been playing some close matches against some of the other Olympic quota contending teams (beat already qualified Greece on penalties and lost by one goal to Hungary in pool play at last years Worlds)

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Easier said than done IMO. Anyways, while Italy are the favourites to win pool, I wouldn’t count out Canada, lately they’ve been playing some close matches against some of the other Olympic quota contending teams (beat already qualified Greece on penalties and lost by one goal to Hungary in pool play at last years Worlds)

Also to me this quote “Our best chance of avoiding Hungary or Australia in the playoffs is to beat Canada.” implies that you think you actually have a chance at a quota.

It would take a series of injuries from two of Hungary, Italy, and Canada for that to ever happen. 

Edited by Josh

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Also to me this quote “Our best chance of avoiding Hungary or Australia in the playoffs is to beat Canada.” implies that you think you actually have a chance at a quota.

It would take a series of injuries from two of Hungary, Italy, and Canada for that to ever happen. 

I don't think we have a chance, but our best chance is to avoid yous, Hungary and Italy for as long as possible and have them be drawn each other or a pre qualified team. Wed played decent in parts today and contested in a couple of quarters, so if we can get our shot conversion rate up to that of Italy's I believe we can give you lot a game. 

Unfortunately a 10-8 defeat against USA for our girls. USA was better on all fronts. Hopefully our girls can raise their level against :KAZ and :BRA, after which they can impress again in the intermediate round against :FRA or :CHN.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

It's less about the Olympic quota and more about the likely increase in financial support that they would get from UK Sport if they were able to sneak through to the quarter finals. 

4 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

It's less about the Olympic quota and more about the likely increase in financial support that they would get from UK Sport if they were able to sneak through to the quarter finals. 

Either way, I don’t see it happening. Great Britain has been beating a lot of the lesser teams lately, which is good for them, but nothing has shown me that Great Britain is capable of defeating a team of Canada’s caliber