website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

The press release read, “For the first time ever, all 206 National Olympic Committees (NOCs) should have at least one female and one male athlete in their respective Olympic teams.” It doesn’t say representation needs to be 50/50, just that each NOC should send at least one athlete in each gender. Apologies, if that wasn’t clear in what I posted above.

Hard to believe that every single Africa/Asia/Oceania country will send a woman.

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The IOC has the power to invite athletes at their discretion I believe (as they did with IOC Refugee Team in 2016 and North Korea in 2018). So they could offer a spot to those countries in need of representation in a gender. It was a while back, but my memory tells this something the IOC has already hinted they would do for Tokyo 2020.

Pretty much, they did the same for Saudi Arabia in 2012 and 2016

I wish the IOC wouldn't be so adverse towards increasing the number of athletes. By my calculations, an Olympics with an athlete structure of 1988/1992, but equal for men and women should have almost 12,000 athletes.

36 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is probably the main one to note: “All 206 NOCs and the IOC Refugee Olympic Team will be encouraged to have their flag carried by one female and one male athlete at the Opening Ceremony.”

Will they both be holding the flag? Will it be a relay? Will there be a clock to count, if they are holding it equally? Who is going to hold it at the top and who at the bottom? Will they have to cross hands? Has Covid ended and we can hug each other again? Are the IOC the highest paid morons in the World? Well scratch the last one, that is not really a question. 

3 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Will they both be holding the flag? Will it be a relay? Will there be a clock to count, if they are holding it equally? Who is going to hold it at the top and who at the bottom? Will they have to cross hands? Has Covid ended and we can hug each other again? Are the IOC the highest paid morons in the World? Well scratch the last one, that is not really a question. 

Its not out of the ordinary. Two people have held the flag as back as 2018 ... 

25 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The IOC has the power to invite athletes at their discretion I believe (as they did with IOC Refugee Team in 2016 and North Korea in 2018). So they could offer a spot to those countries in need of representation in a gender. It was a while back, but my memory tells this something the IOC has already hinted they would do for Tokyo 2020.

Again, they recreated rules for Saudia Arabia and North Korea just to stay timely with the current headlines and paint an image. They did nothing for Bhutan or Tuvalu.

Also, if IOC is not doing this only for themselves, then why on earth did they ever ratify a qualification system which went against the gender equality?

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Hard to believe that every single Africa/Asia/Oceania country will send a woman.

Here’s a list of countries who failed to achieve one man/one woman representation in 2016:

:BHU failed to send a male athlete, sent two women

:IRQ failed to send a female athlete, sent 23 male athletes

:MON failed to send a female athlete, sent 3 male athletes

:NRU failed to send a female athlete, sent 2 male athletes

:TUV failed to send a female athlete, sent only one male athlete

:VAN failed to send a female athlete, sent 4 male athletes

Only 6 NOCs failed to send at least one athlete in each gender in 2016. That number most likely becomes larger the further you go back, but that just shows that there’s already been a trend towards having an athlete in both genders.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Only 6 NOCs failed to send at least one athlete in each gender in 2016. That number most likely becomes larger the further you go back, but that just shows that there’s already been a trend towards having an athlete in both genders.

Wow, this is actually a great number. I actually thought there were much more. Surprised countries like Chad, Mauritania, Somalia, Swaziland, Yemen, Oman, Brunei, Niger, Kiribati managed to get both. 

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The issue is with IAAF's new rule of only allowing one universality quota there will likely be more nations with either no male or no female athletes. We could see 10-15 all male/female nations. This stems from the IOC forcing sports to shrink how many athletes it can have at the Olympics.

5 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Wow, this is actually a great number. I actually thought there were much more. Surprised countries like Chad, Mauritania, Somalia, Swaziland, Yemen, Oman, Brunei, Niger, Kiribati managed to get both. 

Back then both athletics and swimming essentially gave free quotas. Very few countries don't compete in at least one of them and the sports always encouraged nations to send both men and women.