website statistics

Rowing WR World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, phelps said:

since we're not talking of a small town/low budget Olympics, if they just don't want to go on with Lakle Perris because of the possible drought issues, they have enough time to study a good plan to remove the current bridge that shortened the original basin in Long Beach and rebuild it half a mile further (or in the same place just after the Games, asking locals to support the Games and be kind for a couple of years of heavy traffic problems)

The Olympics shouldn’t displace residents or force host cities to build infrastructure that caters exclusively to the Games. The Olympics should fit within existing infrastructure and have a minimal footprint local residents. I mean…much of controversy around the Olympics has to do with its impacts on host cities. 

There are some infrastructure changes that can benefit both host cities and the Olympics, such as improved transit lines, reimagined public spaces, and airport modernizations. Removing a bridge that serves mainly residents, just so athletes can row a bit further seems like a change that doesn’t provide public benefit. It also provides more ammunition to people who argue against hosting the Olympics.

17 minutes ago, phelps said:

the sport of Rowing deserves a 2000m regatta course, no matters how

This is the attitude that left Athens, Rio, and other host cities with vacant White Elephants.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, NearPup said:

It’s also fine if Rowing is out of the way (just like I don’t have any issues with slalom being in Oklahoma). The Olympics is a TV event first and foremost, there is value to having dense venues but a few venues in far flung places is really no big deal.

Right, if World Rowing is insistent about rowing being held in the LA Metro Area, then they have to cater to the best/most realistic option we can provide. They could always hold rowing elsewhere, likely outside the state, but that has its own setbacks.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The Olympics shouldn’t displace residents or force host cities to build infrastructure that caters exclusively to the Games. The Olympics should fit within existing infrastructure and have a minimal footprint local residents. I mean…much of controversy around the Olympics has to do with its impacts on host cities. 

There are some infrastructure changes that can benefit both host cities and the Olympics, such as improved transit lines, reimagined public spaces, and airport modernizations. Removing a bridge that serves mainly residents, just so athletes can row a bit further seems like a change that doesn’t provide public benefit. It also provides more ammunition to people who argue against hosting the Olympics.

I know, but then you have to find plans B, C, D and so on to keep up with all the principles, also the sports ones (and not only the economical and environmental agenda)

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is the attitude that left Athens, Rio, and other host cities with vacant White Elephants.

I still think that everything can be done without coming to those white elefants, it's just a question of etics and honesty by all the people involved, organizers, administrators, politicians all around

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, if World Rowing is insistent about rowing being held in the LA Metro Area, then they have to cater to the best/most realistic option we can provide. They could always hold rowing elsewhere, likely outside the state, but that has its own setbacks.

surely you know the area better than me...and if you say that the LA Metro Area has all those troubles, then I'm rather for the Lake Tahoe (or any other suitable place) option

surely, I'm against the 1500m races in 2028

Well if the LA 2028 LOC can only accommodate 1500m for rowing events ( it absolutely doesn’t make any sense both economically and socially to take the bridge down and then reconstruct it after the games) then world rowing needs to make a decision. They must for the next 4 year cycle do away with 2000m races & make it 1500m everywhere in order to familiarise athletes with the new changes. 
Many top athletes usually go for that final push in that last 500m which eventually decides many close races. 
It would be unfair on those top athletes if they had to loose out on 4 years of hard work just coz LA LOC cant come up with the full 2000m course & World rowing & IOC both agreed on it! 
If you have a problem, there needs to be a solution too! 

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

surely you know the area better than me...and if you say that the LA Metro Area has all those troubles, then I'm rather for the Lake Tahoe (or any other suitable place) option

Lake Tahoe would likely be suitable. However, you run into similar infrastructure issues once again. It is expensive to build in the area, and any major development will be met with resistance from environmental groups, and possibly indigenous groups depending where you are building. The area has also been fire prone in recent years, so you’re dealing with that threat too.

There are other possibilities in the Sierras and Siskiyous, but you’re likely going to find similar issues. Lakes prone to drought, resistance from environmental/indigenous/farming groups, and a limited pool of local labor and spectators.

Water is a precious resource in California. It might quite literally be “liquid gold” in some ways. There’s hope that some wet years can normalize things, but using housing and water resources to cater to rowing would be highly unpopular in California. 

1 hour ago, phelps said:

you already tried this game with swimming (and you were shown how you were wrong)...:finger:

retry, you'll be luckier :p

Yeah swimming too along with a cut in quotas in judo, remove team events in fencing,mens football, synchronized swimming, completely eliminate modern pentathlon, dressage, breakdancing, skateboarding and we'll have a great games 

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Once upon a time, Melbourne hosted its equestrian events in Stockholm. Next year, Paris will host its surfing events in the Pacific.

If LA doesn't have a suitable venue, it should have said so - but I would be as certain as is humanly possible that somewhere could host the rowing Olympic regatta on LA's behalf

5 hours ago, phelps said:

I know, but then you have to find plans B, C, D and so on to keep up with all the principles, also the sports ones (and not only the economical and environmental agenda)

I still think that everything can be done without coming to those white elefants, it's just a question of etics and honesty by all the people involved, organizers, administrators, politicians all around

In a television games world, it should not be so hard to find one-off pre-existing venues if a proposed host struggles, even outside the country.

Whether Athens should ever have gotten the Games on what was a romantic basis is another matter. We are at the point where every continent, and several countries, has every facility it would ever need to host an Olympics. All it needs is the Athletes village, which should be designed with resale/lease/reuse to recoup building costs in mind.

Form rankings                

M1X W1X M2- W2- M2X W2X LM2X LW2X M4- W4- M4X W4X M8+ W8+
1 GER NED GBR< AUS NED ROU IRL GBR GBR AUS POL NED GBR ROU<
2 DEN AUS ROU> ROU CRO< LTU FRA ROU< AUS ROU NED CHN NED GBR
3 NZL NZL SWI NED ITA CHN< SWI FRA NZL GBR ITA GBR AUS CAN
4 JPN SWI ESP IRL IRL> USA ITA USA< NED USA GBR SWI ROU< AUS
5 GRE GER IRL GRE ROU FRA CZE IRL USA NED AUS UKR GER USA
6 BEL USA LTU GBR ESP IRL ESP GRE> FRA IRL ROU GER USA> CHN
7 CRO AUT SRB USA BEL AUS GRE NZL ROU CHN EST< ITA< CHN ITA
8 BUL UZB< AUS LTU CHN GRE< BEL CHN UKR DEN UKR< USA> ITA GER
9 NED> SRB< DEN< CHI NZL NED NZL ITA SWI< NZL IRL CAN CAN  
10 LTU CHN> USA DEN MDA NOR UKR CAN CHN< ESP GER AUS AUT  
11 CAN BUL AIN (B) ESP USA POL MEX> POL GER> POL NOR FRA    
12 AIN (R) ESP CRO< CZE> FRA GER NOR SWI POL GER SWI ROU    
13 SRB LTU NZL CRO AUS GBR POL AUS RSA> CAN LTU CZE    
14 HUN ITA< ITA GER NOR< ITA CHN AUT IRL> MEX CHN      
15 ITA> AIN (B)< RSA POL GER NZL GER GER ITA   USA      
16 NOR CZE CAN ITA GBR CZE POR ESP DEN   CAN      
17 URU< TUR NED NZL GRE CAN AUS DEN     CZE      
18 BRA ROU TUR CAN CZE SWI> USA TUN            
19 ESP GBR> POL AIN (B) SRB RSA TUR> PER            
20 AUS UKR FRA FRA POL>   AUT EGY            
21 USA AIN (R) CHN CHN UKR<   EST              
22 POR FRA GER PAR SWE<   URU              
23 AIN (B) JPN HUN   LTU   UZB>              
24 CHN POL SLO   BUL   ISR              
25 SLO NOR< CZE   URU>   EGY              
26 TUN LAT< EGY   RSA                  
27 TUR SLO     CUB                  
28 MON PER     EGY                  
29 ROU KUW     PER                  
30 CYP BRN     BRN                  
31 ISR TOG                        
32 AZE                          
33 SWE>                          
34 EGY                          
35 MEX>                          
36 ESA<                          
37 BER                          
38 FIN                          
39 PAR                          
40 ZIM                          
41 CIV<                          
42 IRQ                          
43 GEO                          
44 BAR                          
45 ANG                          
46 BEN                          
47 SUD                          
48 LIB                          

So I did this exercise of trying to rank every boat's form coming into these champs. I did this last year for myself and well it wasn't particularly accurate in terms of trying to predict results but hopefully offers some perspective on where boats might finish and expectations for number of Olympic qualifiers. > means I think a given boat will finish higher than where I have ranked them and < means I think it will actually finish lower than where it is ranked here.        

Anyone know why Japan withdrew all their boats except for their single scullers. I assume it is Asian games related but the likes of their W4- would have at least been competitive here

Edited by Ogreman