website statistics

Sailing WS World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Agger said:

I'm in no way an expert, but I see no way that something nearly as big as the F50 ever makes it into the Olympics.  I wouldn't mind some match-racing back, but that's gonna be with a crew of 2 or 3. 

The F50 would be extremely exclusive, expensive and would take a lot more from the boat park!

actually, F50 is a single design, fully shared specifics by the class association (and the club organizing the sail GP), which would be great for the competition and would have all the teams on the same level

it's true that a 6-man crew is very demanding in terms of boat/quota places, but at the same time cutting kite and mixed dinghy  (at least 80, maybe 100 spots, didn't make the exact count) and reducing a bit the enormous amount of ILCA spots (let's say 5/6 places less for both genders) might do it somehow (20 F50 crews = 120 spots, not too many more than those that would go with the other 3 classes out)

about the 3-man crew match racing event, we had that in 1992 with the soling class and it wasn't really a good show...if match racing gets back, it has to be with the most spectacular boats and course available (which is the sail GP environment right now, I have no doubt about it)

14 minutes ago, phelps said:

actually, F50 is a single design, fully shared specifics by the class association (and the club organizing the sail GP), which would be great for the competition and would have all the teams on the same level

it's true that a 6-man crew is very demanding in terms of boat/quota places, but at the same time cutting kite and mixed dinghy  (at least 80, maybe 100 spots, didn't make the exact count) and reducing a bit the enormous amount of ILCA spots (let's say 5/6 places less for both genders) might do it somehow (20 F50 crews = 120 spots, not too many more than those that would go with the other 3 classes out)

about the 3-man crew match racing event, we had that in 1992 with the soling class and it wasn't really a good show...if match racing gets back, it has to be with the most spectacular boats and course available (which is the sail GP environment right now, I have no doubt about it)

We also had the 3-woman crew match racing event in 2012 (Elliot 6m) and it was pretty fun to watch.

5 minutes ago, Cobi said:

We also had the 3-woman crew match racing event in 2012 (Elliot 6m) and it was pretty fun to watch.

right!

it was fun only because Echegoyen won it all :p

as a neutral spectator, technically, it wasn't (tbh, in London most of the sailing program was heavily penalized by the awful weather conditions, with very light to almost no wind)

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

We're none the less talking about a boat costing millions of dollars (I've seen both 4 and 6 million mentioned).

Way too expensive for most nations. Nacra 17 was said to be expensive when it changed to the foiling version, but it's nowhere near close.

I enjoy SailGP, but it's a commercial event.  If you try getting it into the Olympics it's just gonna be the same 5-8 power houses and no changes at all. Doing that at the cost of other events would be a disaster.

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

right!

it was fun only because Echegoyen won it all :p

as a neutral spectator, technically, it wasn't (tbh, in London most of the sailing program was heavily penalized by the awful weather conditions, with very light to almost no wind)

Even though sailing is the top Olympic sport for Spain, it doesn't get much time on TV. I remember that in 2012 Alabau won gold in windsurf and the only race live on TV was the medal race when she had already secured the gold medal. On the other hand, I think they showed some group stage races of the Elliot6m team because it was easy to follow, as well as all the eliminatory races.

2 minutes ago, Agger said:

We're none the less talking about a boat costing millions of dollars (I've seen both 4 and 6 million mentioned).

Way too expensive for most nations. Nacra 17 was said to be expensive when it changed to the foiling version, but it's nowhere near close.

I enjoy SailGP, but it's a commercial event.  If you try getting it into the Olympics it's just gonna be the same 5-8 power houses and no changes at all. Doing that at the cost of other events would be a disaster.

that's the only reason it won't happen, but it would be a great show attracting a lot more viewers than our traditional olympic boats

but yeah, it was only a personal bias rather than an actual feasible option ;)

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

Trying to make sense of where everything stands for the quotas. I am listing the nations that are currently in qualifying positions and the next 5 nations that are closest to them.

Men's Windsurfing (11 boat quotas, 8 out of 20 races complete) 

:NED  :ITA  :GER  :ESP  :ISR  :AUS  :CHN  :POL  :NZL  :SUI  :BRA  ||  :GBR  :NOR  :LTU  :ARU  :DEN 

Women's Windsurfing (11 boat quotas, 5 out of 20 races complete)

:GBR  :CHN  :NED  :ISR  :NOR  :ESP  :ITA  :GER  :MEX  :POL  :CRO  ||  :DEN  :PER  :NZL  :CZE  :JPN 

Men's Kite (8 boat quotas, 8 out of 20 races complete)

:SGP  :SLO  :ITA  :POL  :GER  :AUT  :CRO  :CHN  ||  :CYP  :GBR  :BRA  :USA  :GRE

Women's Kite (8 boat quotas, 8 out of 20 races complete)

:GBR  :GER  :USA  :NED  :ISR  :CHN  :ITA  :POL  ||  :SUI  :AUS  :ESP  :AUT  :NZL

Men's Dinghy (16 boat quotas, 4 out of 10 races complete)

:GBR  :CYP  :GER  :NOR  :AUS  :NZL  :NED  :SWE  :CRO  :HUN  :FIN  :ESP  :IRL  :SLO  :POR  :IND  ||  :BEL  :ITA  :DEN  :PER

Women's Dinghy (16 boat quotas, 4 out of 10 races complete)

:HUN  :ITA  :DEN  :GER  :USA  :NED  :SWE  :BEL  :AUS  :SUI  :GBR  :ITA  :POR  :ARG  :POL  :TUR  ||  :CAN  :FIN  :NOR  :JPN

Men's Skiff (10 boat quotas, 12 out of 15 races complete)

:NED  :GBR  :SUI  :NZL  :USA  :POL  :CRO  :IRL  :AUT  :DEN  ||  :ITA  :GER  :URU  :AUS  :CHN

Women's Skiff (10 boat quotas, 12 out of 15 races complete)

:SWE  :AUS  :USA  :GBR  :NED  :NOR  :BEL  :NZL  :ESP  :DEN  ||  :FIN  :GER  :BRA  :ITA  :CAN

Mixed Dinghy (8 boat quotas, 8 out of 11 races complete)

:JPN  :GER  :ESP  :AUT  :POR  :ISR  :SWE  :GBR  ||  :CHN  :SUI  :USA  :TUR  :ITA 

Mixed Multihull (9 boat quotas, 12 out of 15 races complete)

:ITA  :GBR  :SWE  :GER  :ARG  :NED  :NZL  :FIN  :ESP  ||  :AUT  :DEN  :USA  :AUS  :CHN 

By country:

:GBR 8

:NED 8

:GER 8

:ITA 6

:ESP 6

:POL 6

:SWE 5

:NZL 5

:ISR 4

:CHN 4

:AUS 4

:USA 4

:CRO 4

:SUI 3

:AUT 3

:NOR 3

:DEN 3

:POR 3

:ARG 2

:FIN 2

:SLO 2

:HUN 2

:BEL 2

:IRL 2

:BRA 1

:MEX 1

:SGP 1

:JPN 1

:CYP 1

:IND 1

:TUR 1

:CAN 1

I expected Brazil, Australia and New Zealand to do better, but obviously it can still change. 8 quote places would be great for Germany. Quite telling that Germany (right now) would qualify in all events except men's/women's skiff, obviously that is their weak spot.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 hours ago, Agger said:

Killing 470 would mean killing history, but it has been done with both Star and Finn. Wouldn't be surprised if that's coming in the future.

What’s odd about that is now there is no keelboat class at the Olympic level, instead we have three dingy classes.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

World Sailing’s offshore proposal was interesting in my opinion. It’s a shame the logistics were deemed too challenging by the IOC.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela