website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

21 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Looking at the medalists only Fillion/Benefito, Caldwell and Penderel are likely not to be back for 2020. The future looks bright!

And Pendrel was not even sure she's retiring. 

Also, men's diving could be big in the years going forward. 

This is always a bittersweet time for me with the games comming to a close. I don't want it to end, but I need the extra sleep and to go back to my normal routine. It's exhausting xD

Small day for Canada tommorow, I believe only Reid Coolsaet and Eric Gillis (Marathon), Léandre Bouchard and Raphaël Gagné (Mountain biking) and Haislan Garcia (Wrestling men's -65kg) are the only athletes on deck. Since none of them are expected to be serious medal contenders this is a good time to reflect on just how promissing this crop is going forwoard. The teams in athletics and swimming have improved so much this quad. It more than makes up for the dissapointments in rowing and canoeing (hopefully there will be improvements in these sports). It was also great to see former champions like Rosie MacLennan and Eric Lamaze back up their previous gold medals.

I can live with less bronze medals next time though.

19 minutes ago, Near said:

Not shocking. You get money and you spend it on what is not needed and that results in no good results here.

Their funding will literally be next to nothing next cycle, coupled with this media article, I think its safe to say there will be major changes.

49 minutes ago, intoronto said:

No OTP funding for women's rugby for the upcoming year

http://www.ownthepodium.org/Funding/Team-Sport-Strategy-2016-2017

Really surprised to see women's field hockey get funding over, well, just about anything else.

7 hours ago, Near said:

Really surprised to see women's field hockey get funding over, well, just about anything else.

I remember reading an article that they want Canada to be a medal contender in women's field hockey by 2020. Definitely doable with a high level of funding and a pretty solid grassroots level for the sport within the country already in existence.