website statistics

How Many Medals do You Expect from Your Nation at the Summer Olympic Games 2016?

On 26.7.2016. at 20:06, dareza said:

6 is ok number :d

dareza here. lol. When I left forum. Serbian athetes showed potential :lol:@DaniSRB thanks for great time on facebook. It was crazy.

*8 at then end. I was pessimistic :d Well, first part of the Games were disaster for Serbian team. In second we were almost pefect. :yes

*We had 4 teams and we won 4 medals. Just wow.  Impressive really. We are born for team sports, it is now absolutely clear. Medal in volleyball is so special fo me. I was convinced that these girls finally show potential. Also two medals in basketball.  And finally gold in waterpolo. Domination. They won all in last 3 years. :cheer:

*Medal in athletics is also special. Im also happy for other medals (especially for Tijana in taekwondo. Just wow, that girl is huge talent).

*But our canoeing and shooitng team.:facepalm: So sad. :cry:

*And FINALLY , out of 103 Serbian athletes, 53 will go home with medal. More than a half. :lol:

24 medals was my prediction, Canada leaves with 22 (tied for the most ever in a non-boycotted games). With 10+ fourth place finishes and a total of 43 top 5 performances (and most of this team being young, and likely to return for Tokyo), is it too early to say Canada will likely break 22 medals in Tokyo? A top 8 goal is what the COC wants for Tokyo (in terms of overall medals, which would mean around 28-30 medals, and I think that is definitely do-able). 

I predicted 18-22 for Canada, and they came through with 22.  Even though like intoronto says this is our best non-boycotted Olympics ever in terms of total medals, the best part is that our medalists are so young and just beginning their careers.  No one expected that success in the pool (6 medals!), and Penny Oleksiak who will carry our flag tonight has become a national sensation at only 16.  And De Grasse seems primed to take over the sprinting crown from Bolt.  

Our first swimming gold since 1992, our first athletics gold since 1996.  Our most golds since 1992.  Canadians could not have asked for a better Olympics, and even the cynical ones were getting into it here.  Thank you Rio, you Marvelous City!  

I predicted 1 (yes, one hahaha) and I'm glad to be right :d

Compared to the nations of almost everyone here in Totallympics this sounds crazy, but this was actually an amazing Olympics with a lot of our athletes ending on top 15 and top 10, which is really great. No, not great in "this is everything I dream about", but more like "this is the best our athletes that have 0 government/private support can do against the best of the best"....

A good example is our Taekwondo young guy, Rui Bragança, which I think was 3rd on the Olympic ranking before Rio (not sure about this as I don't like and don't follow taekwondo :) ), and all his career was paid by his parents (he's studying Medicine!!). Meanwhile, my shitty country spent 10 MILLION euros on building a "football city" for our national teams to train.

So, with this reality, leaving Rio with any medal of any colour is really great! :POR

Every goal we hoped for was accomplished. More than one gold (3), the same or more in total medals than in London (same number, better colors), 2nd in South America, 3rd in Latin America, 6th in the Americas (check, check and check) and top 30 in the medals table (23rd).

Plus, several 4th and 5th places, unexpected diplomas, over 20 top 8 results. Here's hoping the improvement continues in Tokyo.

On 14/3/2016 at 23:36, Gianlu33 said:

Around 25

On 15/3/2016 at 14:43, Henry_Leon said:

I agree. With the rotation system of Fencing, in 2016, we will lose 2/3 medals.

PS: stay in Top10 final rank is essential!!! ;)

28 :clap: More than expected

Real target was TOP 10 : did it :yes

Good games  :ITA 

Edited by Henry_Leon

Our target was to beat Beijing's "record" (41 medals) and we did it (42 medals XD), but the result of gold medals is not satisfying. I think there was hope before the OG began to maybe have as much gold medals as in Atlanta (15). The problem is that we have amazing results in WCh but when it's time for the Olympics, a lot of them fail. I hope I'm not sounding too harsh.

It's funny because France ends with more medals than in London (7 more) and only 1 less gold medal but I just feel disappointed. Whereas in London I was very happy with our results and we had a few disappointments. But this time we had too many disappointments so I'm quite bitter.

Apparently we had a total of 12 4th places.

We are starting to die in some sports that used to give us many medals (cycling, swimming and I'm forgetting others I think...)

We won 3 medals in equestrian (2 golds), an amazing result for us! 6 medals in boxing! 6 in athletics too (but no gold medal), 5 in judo (less than in London but the same number of golds than 4 years ago), so these were our best results of Rio 2016.

See you in Tokyo! :thumbup:

(And let's hope that the next step after Tokyo will be Paris :d:fingers:)

On 26.07.2016. at 14:24, dcro said:

I am not a fan of talking about our medal chances (I feel like I will jinx them :p). But anyway, this should be for Croatia.

Athletics 1-2
Boxing 0-1

Handball 1?

Rowing 1-2

Sailling 1-2

Shooting 1-2

Taekwondo 0-2

Water Polo 1

I guess it could go very well in terms of medal, but that's all I'm going to say. :zip:

I'd say this was a realistic expectation in the end. Athletics is the only sport where we exceeded my expectations (didn't think that 3 medals were even possible)

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen