website statistics

Day 9 (February 13th, 2022)

Other Olympics I know we all over react and complain and are pessimistic.  It is our right and duty as Canadian sport fans.  But these OG have to be the worst in terms of performances vis a vis expectations.  Absolute scandal in several sports, several individuals.  

On the other hand, there have been some surprises, like in ski jumping and alpine and even snowboard.  In the end, the total medals won't be bad, but the golds will be embarrassing.  So many favourites absolutely shitting the bed.  Like I also say, Canada needs to invest in sports psychologists.  

4 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Other Olympics I know we all over react and complain and are pessimistic.  It is our right and duty as Canadian sport fans.  But these OG have to be the worst in terms of performances vis a vis expectations.  Absolute scandal in several sports, several individuals.  

On the other hand, there have been some surprises, like in ski jumping and alpine and even snowboard.  In the end, the total medals won't be bad, but the golds will be embarrassing.  So many favourites absolutely shitting the bed.  Like I also say, Canada needs to invest in sports psychologists.  

I actually don't think there was a real surprise in snowboarding - Grondin has been very good all year and O'Dine has been due for a breakthrough for a while.

The ski jumping bronze medal really should be considered a 7th place when analyzing performances. It's impressive, but it's a 7th place. The alpine medal is also funky given it was in a dying event that might never be held again.

In terms of medals, Canada has been keeping pace with expectations, but if you were expecting a repeat from 2018 it's understandable as to why you would be disappointed.

On the gold medal front things have been pretty bad. We didn't have too many gold medal favourites and the ones that were haven't been cashing in.

2 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

In terms of medals, Canada has been keeping pace with expectations, but if you were expecting a repeat from 2018 it's understandable as to why you would be disappointed.

On the gold medal front things have been pretty bad. We didn't have too many gold medal favourites and the ones that were haven't been cashing in.

I think the overall number of medals is pretty decent, just the... quality of them is shit. Didn't expect 11, but I felt like 7 was pretty much the worse case scenario. Woops.

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I actually don't think there was a real surprise in snowboarding - Grondin has been very good all year and O'Dine has been due for a breakthrough for a while.

The ski jumping bronze medal really should be considered a 7th place when analyzing performances. It's impressive, but it's a 7th place. The alpine medal is also funky given it was in a dying event that might never be held again.

Yeah, well, those medals count.  Just like hockey goals, no one asks how you got them, you just got them.  

I'm not saying any of the medals in snowboarding itself are surprising, but I wouldn't have expected to have 5 total at this point just given the chances at falls and let's say creative judging in slopestyle the last two Games.  

Anyway, lots of time for Canada to turn it around.  I think watching our curlers struggle really puts a bigger damper on the experience because it's several times every day.  I'm here and I'm trying to stay positive in person.  But the city isn't really engaged like I thought it would be (even with covid) and even going to the events, while amazing and exciting and crazy, is so clinical and devoid of spontaneity and atmosphere it's almost sad. I have stories that I'm a little hesitant to tell until I'm done all my events and can assure confidentiality.  Nothing horrible, but all fun has been sucked out of the Olympics here and I feel like it's intentional, especially for the very few foreign fans who make it in.  I'm trying to ignore all of that and just watch the sports, but Canada just keeps disappointing on that front, too.  

3 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Yeah, well, those medals count.  Just like hockey goals, no one asks how you got them, you just got them.  

I'm not saying any of the medals in snowboarding itself are surprising, but I wouldn't have expected to have 5 total at this point just given the chances at falls and let's say creative judging in slopestyle the last two Games.  

Anyway, lots of time for Canada to turn it around.  I think watching our curlers struggle really puts a bigger damper on the experience because it's several times every day.  I'm here and I'm trying to stay positive in person.  But the city isn't really engaged like I thought it would be (even with covid) and even going to the events, while amazing and exciting and crazy, is so clinical and devoid of spontaneity and atmosphere it's almost sad. I have stories that I'm a little hesitant to tell until I'm done all my events and can assure confidentiality.  Nothing horrible, but all fun has been sucked out of the Olympics here and I feel like it's intentional, especially for the very few foreign fans who make it in.  I'm trying to ignore all of that and just watch the sports, but Canada just keeps disappointing on that front, too.  

These Olympics would be a bummer even if Canada was doing well tbh. Even Tokyo felt more like proper Olympics.

5 minutes ago, NearPup said:

These Olympics would be a bummer even if Canada was doing well tbh. Even Tokyo felt more like proper Olympics.

Like I said, I have lots to say when I feel better about it. But it feels more like a commercial than an Olympics.  Many of us are feeling like we're at a certain Olympics in the early 20th century rather than a modern Games.  If you know what I mean.  

I do want to say the volunteers and participants have been absolutely amazing.  I would not have been able to get anywhere without the hard work of certain locals, and the volunteers are ridiculously helpful and friendly and cheerful.  I'm talking bigger picture.  

I've said it several times, some venues are close to my house.  Just went for lunch the other day right outside one of the hockey venues.  We can't go to the events but we can take full subways to the area and then sit in a crowded full capacity restaurant or bar without our masks and enjoy the evening.  It makes no sense to me.  And in those areas there is nothing Olympics.  You wouldn't even know anything was going on unless you went right up to the fence and then there's some banners.  Most places even right THERE aren't showing any events, and if you ask them to they probably won't even know what you're talking about.  All Olympic shops have been sold out for months, so there's not even retail therapy (imagine if the world had come!  There's nothing to buy and no one to trade with!)  Like, everyone wants that panda mascot doll, and no one can get it.  No one.  Big companies I guess bought them all months ago.  There is just nothing to get excited about around the city.  

Anyway, I've gone on.  Back to hockey.  

2 hours ago, orangeman said:

Actually, the hockey situation might work out for the best.  As I understand it, and if everything works out the way it should tonight, Canada will play China again in the qualification round and then Sweden in the quarters.  If Sweden had held on to win, Canada would have likely just faced Finland in the quarters, and Finland is the better team.  

Trying to stay positive.  

Now looking at it, I'm not sure how 1-4 is ranked, but Sweden is actually tied with ROC for points but has a better GD, so if that is how it works then Canada will face ROC in the quarters.  Greeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaatttttt.

30 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Now looking at it, I'm not sure how 1-4 is ranked, but Sweden is actually tied with ROC for points but has a better GD, so if that is how it works then Canada will face ROC in the quarters.  Greeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaatttttt.

Position in group is the number one criteria. Sweden cannot be higher than the 4th seed because they finished 2nd in their group.