website statistics

Day 9 (February 13th, 2022)

Both Gow brothers and Jules Burnotte qualified for the mass start in biathlon. This matches the most entries Canada has ever had in an Olympic mass start.

Biathlon is a sport where Canada has actually done very well these Olympics, at least on the men's side.

3 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I think double gold medals in hockey would gloss over a lot of other problems.  If curling can recover and at least get medals that would help too.  But all of those are long shots except the women's hockey team.  Canada's first podium sweep, like in snowboard big air, would also be nice.  

As for short track, I remember in Vancouver there was huge disappointment on the team and then on the last night they got gold and bronze in the mens 500 and gold in the mens relay.  Magic like that on Wednesday would go a long way. 

I don't want to jinx anything, but base on what we've seen these Olympics and on the world cup I actually think Canada is a slight favourite in the 5000m relay.

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I don't want to jinx anything, but base on what we've seen these Olympics and on the world cup I actually think Canada is a slight favourite in the 5000m relay.

I keep thinking about that bizarre call for China getting advanced and Canada not getting a penalty and it makes me think the judges are lining up the two countries as medalists. 

Just now, james89 said:

I keep thinking about that bizarre call for China getting advanced and Canada not getting a penalty and it makes me think the judges are lining up the two countries as medalists. 

Radio-Canada talked about that, there was apparently a camera angle not on broadcast that clearly showed :CHN fell because of a clash of blades while even with Canada, which makes this the correct call.

30 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Given current form I am bracing myself for a crushing disappointment in the men's team pursuit.

These Olympics keep getting worse every day for :CAN. Fifth place in men's team pursuit. Probably the last Olympic race for Ted-Jan Bloemen.

Just now, NearPup said:

These Olympics keep getting worse every day for :CAN. Fifth place in men's team pursuit. Probably the last Olympic race for Ted-Jan Bloemen.

Even the Netherlands, the favourites, finish 4th.  Race of their lives from Russia, who would never take anything to enhance their performance, I'm sure.  

Either way, pathetic showing from speed skaters in Beijing besides Weidemann.