website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

When I am looking at the Olympic program I have a lot of questions regarding medal distribution between sports.

As an example:

Rowing has 14 medals, Canoeing 16 and sailing 10 (this group altogether 40 medals)

While some other sports are having much less medals (Modern Pentathlon 2, Triathlon 3, and something like Weightlifting the quotas reduced to 10 medals only now)

On the other hand some popular sports are fighting to get included each cycle like Cricket, squash, Karate and Baseball.

Would it be more fair for wider audience to get some reasonable cuts from existing sports and include couple more as permanent

By the way I don’t have any problems with Rowing, sailing etc, but I feel the allocated medal are a bit excessive compared to others.  

35 minutes ago, El Analyzer said:

When I am looking at the Olympic program I have a lot of questions regarding medal distribution between sports.

As an example:

Rowing has 14 medals, Canoeing 16 and sailing 10 (this group altogether 40 medals)

While some other sports are having much less medals (Modern Pentathlon 2, Triathlon 3, and something like Weightlifting the quotas reduced to 10 medals only now)

On the other hand some popular sports are fighting to get included each cycle like Cricket, squash, Karate and Baseball.

Would it be more fair for wider audience to get some reasonable cuts from existing sports and include couple more as permanent

By the way I don’t have any problems with Rowing, sailing etc, but I feel the allocated medal are a bit excessive compared to others.  

I don’t have a problem with sports having more events than others, so long as they are unique enough to warrant inclusion. 

People complain about windsurfing and kite-sailing being added in sailing, but they do offer something pretty different from the standard dingy events. Same with lightweight rowing or coastal rowing. 

Personally, I think it comes down to how athlete quotas are utilized. The IOC has really lacked innovation in this space. You can only limit entries so much before the Olympics starts to lose universality, competitive fields, and general appeal. There needs to be more thought put into policies that affect athlete quotas. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Exactly, athletes quotas is the main concern, IOC wants to cap the entries but keeping unversality.

my personal feeling that IOC doesn't care so much, revenue is important of course but just feeling bad for athletes in other sports who deserve to be olympians 

47 minutes ago, El Analyzer said:

Exactly, athletes quotas is the main concern, IOC wants to cap the entries but keeping unversality.

my personal feeling that IOC doesn't care so much, revenue is important of course but just feeling bad for athletes in other sports who deserve to be olympians 

And also athletes in established olympic disciplines who are cut because of the quotas limitation (I'm strongly thinking about canoeing slalom here)

Honestly, there is little you can do with the current cap of 10,500 athletes and the olympic program as it is. You can tweek it a bit, but really, just a bit.

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t have a problem with sports having more events than others, so long as they are unique enough to warrant inclusion. 

People complain about windsurfing and kite-sailing being added in sailing, but they do offer something pretty different from the standard dingy events. Same with lightweight rowing or coastal rowing. 

Personally, I think it comes down to how athlete quotas are utilized. The IOC has really lacked innovation in this space. You can only limit entries so much before the Olympics starts to lose universality, competitive fields, and general appeal. There needs to be more thought put into policies that affect athlete quotas. 

windsurfing is OK, it's Kite that has nothing to do with sailing (and it's also a poor double of windsurfing in terms of format and action)

17 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I think :NED is lock for cricket. They finished top 8 in the most recent WC and also have qualified for ODI WC.  Nordic countries host a lot of international cricket and have a stadiums too. Denmark has even played at WC before.

no way, both in terms of people's recognition and also of results (in Baseball, :NED are an established "big team", world champions in the last tournament without the MLB/NPB Pros, twice in the top 4 of the WBC, with almost all the best MLB/NPB Pros)

even the infrastructures...Baseball's are way more present and developed in the Country

7 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Honestly, there is little you can do with the current cap of 10,500 athletes and the olympic program as it is. You can tweek it a bit, but really, just a bit.

Pretty much, the IOC continued adding more events without increase athlete quotas. Based on the Olympics of the 90s we really should be at the 11,500 - 12,000 athlete range.

12 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

An Indian news channel interviewed Thomas Bach who said cricket could be part of future games, but to have it in 2028 would depend on organizing committee.

Link to an article from the news station: https://www.cnbctv18.com/sports/crickets-olympic-return-in-sight-as-ioc-president-thomas-bach-gives-thumbs-up-17703241.htm