website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

Just adding my 2 cents to discussion of including Cricket into the Olympic programme.

Personally I wouldn't want Cricket to be included even if India would be a genuine medal contender in both gender, as the sport is highly becoming uncompetitive.

Even the shorter T20 version though highly exciting, rarely does the underdog defeat the better team.

But with the Indian economy growing, IOC knows it has to be tap into the Indian market. IOC social media channels are targeting India with India specific news and content and even content in Hindi, India's most spoken language. During 2022 Commonwealth Games, IOC did country specific content only for India.

Regarding broadcasting rights, the rights have been sold to Disney / Star Sports till 2027 for about $ 3 billion in India. 

However if Cricket is included in Olympics, there will be major repercussions. Currently, as India is a major force in Cricket the BCCI (Board of Cricket Control in India) controls ICC (International Cricket Council) and takes decisions which suit BCCI only and detrimental to spread of Cricket globally. BCCI itself is not a member of Indian Olympic Association but an NGO so no authority can intervene in BCCI's internal policies. BCCI knows this and thus ICC itself is not serious in bringing Cricket to Olympics 

18 minutes ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Even the shorter T20 version though highly exciting, rarely does the underdog defeat the better team

That's because of lack of opportunities. If an Olympic sport, governments will fund so more teams will be competitive. Already the top 16 teams can beat anyone the question is has there been enough chances probably no! Namibia beating Asia Cup champions Sri Lanka in T20WC, Rwanda girls finishing 8th in U19 WC, Thailand women beating multiple full members and so on.. While I don't like the idea of cricket at Olympics I wouldn't mind it for 2 editions by then many nations would do well I believe then idc about it's in Olympics or not

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Yeah not dropping any sport 

I mean, I have no problem with people expressing their own desires and even being biased towards some sports...I'm also in that category for sure ;)

I just want people to understand that our wishes are just our wishes and IOC works in a certain way, which means that most of our desires are set to remain just desires ;)

p.s. not dropping any historical sport would be one of the main points of my personal agenda, if only I could be the IOC president for a day :evil:

1 hour ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Just adding my 2 cents to discussion of including Cricket into the Olympic programme.

Personally I wouldn't want Cricket to be included even if India would be a genuine medal contender in both gender, as the sport is highly becoming uncompetitive.

Even the shorter T20 version though highly exciting, rarely does the underdog defeat the better team.

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

That's because of lack of opportunities. If an Olympic sport, governments will fund so more teams will be competitive. Already the top 16 teams can beat anyone the question is has there been enough chances probably no! Namibia beating Asia Cup champions Sri Lanka in T20WC, Rwanda girls finishing 8th in U19 WC, Thailand women beating multiple full members and so on.. While I don't like the idea of cricket at Olympics I wouldn't mind it for 2 editions by then many nations would do well I believe then idc about it's in Olympics or not

I can tell you what happened and what's happening in Karate, which had its one-hit appearance in Tokyo

it used to be a sport dominated by the same 5/6 Countries, with very few exceptions in the global events' medal tables despite a very high number of participants

when it became an Olympic sport, the number of participants to every event and the number of competitive Nations started to grow immediately, reaching unexpected levels and becoming one of the most well spread sports in the world, also in the number of Countries capable of winning global medals

in the last 2 years, after the Olympic dream was killed, we're getting back to the old situations, with always less participants to the global tournaments and medals being won mainly by the good old powerhouses, which regained their status thanks to the many athletes and Nations that suddenly disappeared from the world scene after they lost motivation and funding once the Olympic status had gone

therefore, a one-shot (or even a 2-shot) appearance won't be enough to consolidate the sport outside the usual borders...it takes a lot more time and chances for the newcomers to establish the game in their places

Edited by phelps

For baseball/softball and cricket, the IOC could create a category where if the host nation has the venues it can add them to the games (with an appropriate increase of athletes if they appear) and if they do not then they are left off. Not ideal, but I don't think we should force nations to build such huge stadiums that won't get any use after the games.

The risk of such a category is there might be a push for other venues to get the same treatment. Track cycling and golf is an obvious risk. Canoe slalom maybe, but the cost of the venue is a lot less, even if it is event specific. Regardless we probably don't want to open that can of worms

5 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

For those saying they’d like to get rid of football in favour of beach soccer, I only agree with removing men’s football. Women’s football has a valid spot at the Olympics for me and would like to see it stay.

Women’s football is fine until it grows big enough for FIFA to focus on the World Cup like they did with the men’s game.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

It's funny how people come to a conclusion that a sport will be dropped just because of their lack of interest in the sport. 

Right, I don’t like field hockey, but I don’t think it should be dropped merely because I don’t like it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 7/29/2023 at 3:00 PM, hckošice said:

I admit, I have zero idea about cricket

(zero and half let say about field hockey - I really tried to watch it, trust me, but did not appeal me, sorry found it extremely slow, messy and incredibly unnecessarily long (both the pitch and the play time) to my taste)

the only thing I noticed about Cricket is the crazy long amount of time needed for a game, quite hard to understand how this is even considered to be at the OG, while in all other sports the different federations are inventing how to shorten the events to fit with the new "lack-of-attention-generation" aimed by the IOC... but ok. Look, I have nothing against Cricket, If they want and wish, Ok, no issue bro.Go ahead and add it to the games, play a whole month if you want... but do not sacrify other more traditional and more Olympic fitting sports/quotas because of that..

Yes, I know, I can imagine viewers in India, where the sport is super popular will not have problem to watch it.. I just doubt it will be the same in the other parts of the world though... Personally I would even prefer more that Kabadi thing that have more Olympic potential to attract attention worldwidely than ... cricket.

I understand your concern of Cricket being long and boring. The purest form of Cricket which is Test Cricket is 5 days long and does seem boring at first. But for cricket purists its an ultimate battle of skills between bat and ball.
However, the version of Cricket which is being considered for the Olympics is T20 which is only 3.5 hours long and is exciting and results are not known till the very last moment. Also the underdog can defeat the Goliath and it has happened even in World Cups. The 2024 T20 World Cup shall have 20 teams and will be hosted by West Indies and United States.
Also T20 cricket for women was part of the 2022 Commonwealth Games and it involved 8 teams and spread over 10 days, with 2 groups of round robin and then knockouts. So even an 8 team tournament can fit in the 2 week window in the Olympics