website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

I’m starting to think you have something against Canada. Between this and saying that the Canadian men have no chance at an Olympic medal in men’s basketball one would wonder. 

2 hours ago, prso1000 said:

Yeah but for Canada it’s much easier to qualify in many sports compared to European nations via continental quotas. 

Sure, but the same thing could be said for pretty much all countries bar the United States and China. Australia has an even easier path to continental quotas than Canada would and I don’t see you complaining about them. So does Egypt.

1 hour ago, prso1000 said:

It’s the point, as he was stating that Canada is so diverse in sports, with potential participation in 28 of 32 sports. That  is true, but also much easier to qualify in Americas. If Canada was in Europe you would not qualify in 28 sports. 

I wouldn’t disagree with you on the first sentence. Key word “if”, Canada isn’t in Europe and never will be so…

Even if Canada was in Europe, we'd still be in most sports. Like easily 20+, likely around 25. Off the top of my head, we'd probably fail to qualify in shooting and football. Among disciplines we'd probably miss open water swimming and canoe slalom. Everything else we'd have a representative. Yes, Canada benefits from not being in Europe, but we are still good at qualifying.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I’m starting to think you have something against Canada. Between this and saying that the Canadian men have no chance at an Olympic medal in men’s basketball one would wonder. 

Sure, but the same thing could be said for pretty much all countries bar the United States and China. Australia has an even easier path to continental quotas than Canada would and I don’t see you complaining about them. So does Egypt.

I wouldn’t disagree with you on the first sentence. Key word “if”, Canada isn’t in Europe and never will be so…

Nothing against Canada as such. Like the country, was there several times, even in weird place like Lacombe.  it was just annoying to read about the great diversity of Canadian sport, as this diversity to some extent comes from unfair distribution of quotas. 

you have huge advantage being in North America, which is ok. But let’s not pretend it is all based on quality. 
I mean you qualified a table tennis team 😂

And I agree for other countries like Australia it’s even worse. They have a free ticket to all sports. 

when it comes to basketball, I am still convinced you don’t have a chance to medal in Paris. There are too many better teams there. No chance sorry mate. 

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Even if Canada was in Europe, we'd still be in most sports. Like easily 20+, likely around 25. Off the top of my head, we'd probably fail to qualify in shooting and football. Among disciplines we'd probably miss open water swimming and canoe slalom. Everything else we'd have a representative. Yes, Canada benefits from not being in Europe, but we are still good at qualifying.

Two examples where you would never qualify without continental quotas: taekwondo and volleyball (w). Probably you would still make 20 (just a guess) but still it means you are represented in maybe up to 8 sports where you don’t deserve to be. Even 1 sport is too much. 

edit: taekwondo was wrong, forgot about Skylar. 

Edited by prso1000

:FRA 2024 Meeting FFN Camille Muffat - Nice (FRA) :FRA

March 17th - March 20th 2024

Meet Results

The following new OQTs were achieved

Men's 400m Freestyle

:TUN Ahmed Jaouadi

Women's 200m Freestyle

:CAN Mary-Sophie Harvey

Women's 200m Backstroke

:FRA Pauline Mahieu

Women's 400m Individual Medley

:CAN Mary-Sophie Harvey

3 hours ago, prso1000 said:

Two examples where you would never qualify without continental quotas: taekwondo and volleyball (w). Probably you would still make 20 (just a guess) but still it means you are represented in maybe up to 8 sports where you don’t deserve to be. Even 1 sport is too much. 

edit: taekwondo was wrong, forgot about Skylar. 

Women's volleyball is another bad example. Even with continental spots the women have not qualified unless Canada or the United States were host. Funny, enough 2024 is our best chance in a long time and if we qualify it won't be because of a continental spot.

After a more in-depth search, I believe only football and shooting would be missed. 26/32 sports is still more than most nations.

38 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

After a more in-depth search, I believe only football and shooting would be missed. 26/32 sports is still more than most nations.

Even football is a bad example. If there was no such thing as continental qualifiers, Canada would still probably qualify for this years Olympics. 

United States

France

Australia

Netherlands

Brazil

Spain

Great Britain

Sweden

Japan

Germany

Norway

Canada

Colombia, Nigeria, and Denmark would be next up probably. 

People here a bit tough on Australia(again!)

Looking at their team I'd say that the only soft qualifications they have are in boxing -Australia  has remarkably little interest in all the combative sports -and they give out a huge number of medals especially to Japan in judo .Sth Korea in twaekwondo ,Italy in fencing etc etc - 

and synchronised swimming - the one aquatic discipline which is considered a joke by most (sorry ladies )

New Zealand is the country with the soft entry in association football.They would be favourites to come last (again) in both tournaments