website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

22 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Not an Olympic qualification event unfortunately. Could be added later though.

Yeah I gave up looking through the World Aquatics site looking for the calendar so figured I'd post it anyhow as it feels like it's been a while since GB had anybody new hitting an OQT.

Now all she needs to do is repeat it at next week's Edinburgh International meet for it to count for World Aquatics and then again in April at British Champs for it to count for British Swimming! What could be simpler? :lol:

16 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Yeah I gave up looking through the World Aquatics site looking for the calendar so figured I'd post it anyhow as it feels like it's been a while since GB had anybody new hitting an OQT.

Now all she needs to do is repeat it at next week's Edinburgh International meet for it to count for World Aquatics and then again in April at British Champs for it to count for British Swimming! What could be simpler? :lol:

Just needs to do it once at British Champs.

7 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Here's the calendar on the World Aquatics site

and here's the Totallympics version that I've been updating

Yeah, definitely not a fan of your federation's harsh standards. If Amelie Blocksidge hits the OQT but misses the BQT and they don't take her, I might just bring my pitchfork to British Swimming's headquarters. :redcard:

23 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Yeah, definitely not a fan of your federation's harsh standards. If Amelie Blocksidge hits the OQT but misses the BQT and they don't take her, I might just bring my pitchfork to British Swimming's headquarters. :redcard:

If they're not likely to reach the final then they don't wanna know, simple as. Although tbf to them, unlike athletics, this hasn't hindered the progress or success of our athletes at all so they've got no reason to stop doing this. Edinburgh will be a good guide, in all unqualified events, as to how trials will most likely unfold. Blocksidge needs to knock 9 seconds off her current time and Evans 0.3 to reach the British Standard, and that's without even considering the 30 athlete cap they might have to contend with. 

On 2/21/2024 at 6:27 PM, JoshMartini007 said:

The wording is a bit awkward.

It's written that athletes under the age of 30 can only compete in two Olympics through universality. It's then implied that over 30 year old athletes can compete in more Olympics.

It's a dumb rule in my opinion and hurts a small handful of athletes in their mid to late 20s who may be excluded during what may have been their peak Olympics

But perhaps wouldn't be the case of those countries read the OQD beforehand and send new athletes?

I like the idea of Universality quotas not being given to the same athlete over and over.

Not sure if this would be thread or the Swimming 2024, but... I was curious and took the 2 best times from american swimmers between march 2023-24 to check what would be the US swimming "selection".

It would have 20 male athletes, 18 female athletes, plus 3 men and 2 women to fill the top6 in 4x100m and 4x200m. The 12th relay only quota would go (in my mind obviously) to Simone Manuel, 7th from 4x100m.

Do you think the official selection will be very different from this one? Can Dressel comeback in time?

MEN (20+ 6 relay only)

Bobby Finke - 800m freestyle, 1500m freestyle

Carson Foster - 200m butterfly, 200m medley, 400m medley, 4x200m freestyle (3rd)

Charlie Clark - 1500m freestyle

Chase Kalisz - 400m medley

Dare Rose - 100m butterfly

David Johnston - 400m freestyle

Destin Lasco.- 200m backstroke, 4x100 freestyle (3rd)

Hunter Armstrong - 100m backstroke

Jack Alexy - 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle

Jake Foster - 200m breaststroke

Josh Mateny - 100m breaststroke

Kieran Smith - 200m freestyle, 400m freestyle

Luke Hobson - 200m freestyle

Matt Fallon - 200m breaststroke

Nic Fink - 100m breaststroke

Ross Dant - 800m freestyle

Ryan Held - 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle

Ryan Murphy - 100m backstroke, 200m backstroke

Shaine Casas - 100m butterfly, 200m medley

Thomas Heilman - 200m butterfly

RELAY ONLY

Brooks Curry - 4x200m freestyle (6th)

Chris Giuliano - 4x100 freestyle (5th)

Drew Kibler - 4x200m freestyle (4th)

Jake Mitchell - 4x200m freestyle (5th)

Justin Ress- 4x100 freestyle (6th)

Matt King - 4x100 freestyle (4th)

WOMEN (22) 16+6 relay only

Abbey Weitzeil - 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle

Alex Walsh - 200m medley, 400m medley

Bella Sims - 400 free, 4x200m freestyle (3rd)

Claire Curzan - 200m back

Claire Weinstein - 200m freestyle

Dakota Luther. - 200m butterfly

Gretchen Walsh - 100m butterfly, 4x100m (3rd)

Jillian Cox - 800m free

Kate Douglass - 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle, 200m breast, 200m medley

Katie Grimes - 1500m freestyle, 400m medley

Katie Ledecky - 200m freestyle, 400 free, 800 free, 1500m free

Katherine Berkoff - 100m back

Lilly King - 100m breast, 200m breast

Lydia Jacoby - 100m breast

Regan Smith - 100m back, 200m back, 200m butterfly

Torri Huske - 100m butterfly, 4x100m (4th)

Relay Only:

Alex Schakell -  4x200m freestyle (5th)

Erin Gemmell - 4x200m freestyle (4th)

Leah Smith - 4x200m freestyle (6th)

Maxime Parker - 4x100m freestyle (6th)

Olivia Smoliga - 4x100m freestyle (5th)

Simone Manuel - 4x100m freestyle (7th)

On 2/27/2024 at 7:53 AM, Topicmaster1010 said:

British swimming will take Amelie if she wins trials and gets vaguely close to that insane qualification time of 16m 01 IMHO.

What an experience Paris will be for her in her development, she is probably British swimmings biggest talent for a long time. I’m also interested in seeing if she can drop time in the 800m to get close to that QT.

As others have mentioned, UK swimming setting a cap of 30 swimmers looks like it MAY cause them problems as a few of the non headline swimmers are making strides in various events.

On 2/21/2024 at 6:33 PM, OlympicIRL said:

World Aquatics seems to imply the opposite in their website so it almost seems like they can compete in more than 2 Olympics if they are under the age of 30.

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 21.31.33.png

In the official document the wording is more clear but not enough

image.png

I think it is something similar to the tennis rule that have different rules to younger/older than 30:

In this case... I think the rule only applies if the athlete is younger than 30.

if the athlete is over 30 he/she can go.

But if he/she is younger, can not go to a third Olympic.

I guess the idea behind is: if the athlete is older, it gets an "extra" Olympic to go to.

Not sure if it's the best or if it's what the document says. what do you think @JoshMartini007 @OlympicIRL @Josh?