website statistics

Covid Cases at the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

It's an alternate...but still one would imagine they were close to Biles

Not close enough to judged to be a close contact. Covid spread within sport teams are a bit unpredictable. Sometimes an entire team catches it other times hardly anyone else seems to catch it when a member tests positive. Let’s hope her vaccine works as well ( She is believed to have been vaccinated). 

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

And most current cases are ones that have been caught outside of Tokyo. The gymnast is over 70km away in another city while the others have likely caught it before departing or on the journey. 

Jaoan should have pushed it back to 2022 and then got the IOC to move all future games by two years, 

Not gonna happen. The TV money contracts have been paid already. I'm not even gonna talk about sponsors. No way IOC can afford to cancel the games and give back money.

Can't express how much I am sorry for :CZE Ondřej Perušič ..... On the other hand, it seems that IOC rules regarding covid are also kinda flexible. ...... In my opinion, they should make difference for ppl with and without vaccine as vaccinated ppl have much higher posibility to have fake positive test. He is vaccinated so he is surely gonna be tested every day. At least he can train outdoor even though it is without his partner. But they know each other well. I suppose the COC will do their best to make IOC allow Ondřej play if his negative in several consecutive days or postpone the game. My opinion? If you are vaccinated, your tests comes positive and later 3 or 4 consecutive days negative, you should be released from the quarantine...... 3 or 4 consecutive days negative should be enough proof of not being infectious or generally being negative......

Not quite at the Olympic Games but the Danish crown prince will not be going to Tokyo due to being a close contact to one with a positive test. He is set to resign as IOC member at the upcoming IOC session.

Just now, Jan Linha said:

Can't express how much I am sorry for :CZE Ondřej Perušič ..... On the other hand, it seems that IOC rules regarding covid are also kinda flexible. ...... In my opinion, they should make difference for ppl with and without vaccine as vaccinated ppl have much higher posibility to have fake positive test. He is vaccinated so he is surely gonna be tested every day. At least he can train outdoor even though it is without his partner. But they know each other well. I suppose the COC will do their best to make IOC allow Ondřej play if his negative in several consecutive days or postpone the game. My opinion? If you are vaccinated, your tests comes positive and later 3 or 4 consecutive days negative, you should be released from the quarantine...... 3 or 4 consecutive days negative should be enough proof of not being infectious or generally being negative......

I don’t think the Japanese people would take to a vaccinated/non vaccinated difference in treatment. So it’s non starter for the IOC. 

Just now, Agger said:

Not quite at the Olympic Games but the Danish crown prince will not be going to Tokyo due to being a close contact to one with a positive test. He is set to resign as IOC member at the upcoming IOC session.

I suspect quite a lot of international dignitaries will pull out. I can see Jill Biden suddenly cancelling her trip for example. 

2 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I don’t think the Japanese people would take to a vaccinated/non vaccinated difference in treatment. So it’s non starter for the IOC. 

Well, at some point, yes, it is decision on Japanese government, but also on the other hand, Japanese government must fully cooperate with IOC on this and be ready to make "exceptions" .... people work hard to get to Olympics for 2-3 years and then they test covid positive which might even be a fake positive? And might be the only chance to get to the Olympics? .....

2 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I suspect quite a lot of international dignitaries will pull out. I can see Jill Biden suddenly cancelling her trip for example. 

Who cares about political VIPs anyway? This is literally the last thing on my mind. Japan's impact on global economy is too big so any sort of political boycott doesn't stand a chance anyway.

Almost all our delegation has arrived to the village with no problems except for the 49er fx crew who got involved in the good old "flight close contact" nonsense and had to stay 3 days locked (they are back training again but they will still be monitored until the 23rd).

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

And so with this and last few news the real shitstorm starts. It won't be a legit Olympic Games if COVID takes out favorites. 

For the moment. However, in X years from now, nobody will be like "That dude won Olympic gold...oh yeah, but it was because these and these others weren't there."

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!