Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
George_D

Swimming 2017 Discussion Thread

63 posts in this topic

James Magnussen isn't going to the world champs in July 2017 because he will focus on the Commonwealth Games in April 2018 :facepalm:

This is such an annoying thing in swimming, athletes/coaches acting like peaking twice in one calendar year is insanely impossible. 

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

James Magnussen isn't going to the world champs in July 2017 because he will focus on the Commonwealth Games in April 2018 :facepalm:

This is such an annoying thing in swimming, athletes/coaches acting like peaking twice in one calendar year is insanely impossible. 

Have you tried peaking twice a year yourself? :p

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Have you tried peaking twice a year yourself? :p

I haven't, but athletes in a lot of sports have and succesfully did so (like countries that have Olympic trials 2-3 months or less before the Olympics). If the Commonwealth Games were in September or October 2017, ok, I get it. But come on, get real. Not going to WCh in July 2017 because of an event in April 2018 is too much. 

Posted (edited)

Does he even have to peak for the CW Games. :d It's not like there is that much competition there. Also there are 8 months between those events... It's absurd to imagine that he can't be ready for both to swim a few lanes. For me it seems an excuse, when Chalmers whips his ass before the Worlds. :whistle:

Edited by Federer91

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Does he even have to peak for the CW Games. :d It's not like there is that much competition there. Also there are 8 months between those events... It's absurd to imagine that he can't be ready for both to swim a few lanes. For me it seems an excuse, when Chandler whips his ass before the Worlds. :whistle:

830678d89f347449e1e3b46df67f0ff5_not-sur

(I do agree about the rest of course, come on, 8 months to prepare isn't enough? I don't buy that) 

Edited by heywoodu

50 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I haven't, but athletes in a lot of sports have and succesfully did so (like countries that have Olympic trials 2-3 months or less before the Olympics). If the Commonwealth Games were in September or October 2017, ok, I get it. But come on, get real. Not going to WCh in July 2017 because of an event in April 2018 is too much. 

Maybe he wants to have a life outside of swimming. :d

After all, that is only James Magnussen, not really the top swimmer at the moment. :p

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Maybe he wants to have a life outside of swimming. :d

Then say that you want to have a life outside of swimming instead of coming up with bullshit excuses like this :lol:

:CANCanada's swim team was announced for the 2017 World Championships

Arguably the best ever women's team . Multiple medals are expected. However the men's team is literally the weakest ever. Only 5 individual swims have qualified. The two strongest men are not competing Cochrane (retired) and Condorelli (unsure, but rumours are he is switching to compete for Italy).

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

:CANCanada's swim team was announced for the 2017 World Championships

Arguably the best ever women's team . Multiple medals are expected. However the men's team is literally the weakest ever. Only 5 individual swims have qualified. The two strongest men are not competing Cochrane (retired) and Condorelli (unsure, but rumours are he is switching to compete for Italy).

really? here in Italy not a single word has ever been written about this chance...:mumble:

We all know (it was even confirmed by one or two officials from our NF) that a few years ago Italy tried to get Aussie Tommaso D'Orsogna and US Nick Brunelli, but both said "no, thanks", but nobody here did even mention the possibility of asking Condorelli to swim for Italy (by the way, it would be a great addition to our team)...

1:53.81 for Rylov. New ER. But Russia have new star in this discipline. 16 years old Kliment Kolesnikov swam 1:55.49 :yikes: