website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

2 hours ago, Triplecast said:

http://bit.ly/kyodopoll

Still very troubling numbers here for Japanese Government and organizers.  Poll released April 11

Want Games cancelled    39.2% 

Want Games Postponed  32.8%

Games should go on         24.5%

Doesn't say about the other 3.5%

Those 39.2% people should cancelled themselves...

We are almost 100 days away from the Opening Ceremony and Olympics aren't an domestic event that could be cancelled or even postponed in such short time.

4 hours ago, Triplecast said:

Still very troubling numbers here for Japanese Government and organizers.  Poll released April 11

1 hour ago, rybak said:

Those 39.2% people should cancelled themselves...

We are almost 100 days away from the Opening Ceremony and Olympics aren't an domestic event that could be cancelled or even postponed in such short time.

I hear you and agree, like everyone here, I want the Games to happen.  But I'm a little less optimistic today, than I was yesterday that it will happen.  Besides this poll you have the WHO report today that COVID is growing exponentially, and then the Guardian editorialized that Japan and the IOC have to ask themselves if the event can be justified.  But they did stop short of calling for a cancellation and instead said if they go ahead, the IOC and Japan must ensure  that rules are enforced, not just communicated.  

This poll is just too wrong. Not because the Olympics can't get cancelled, but because they can't get potponed again. IOC confirmed that multiple times. They can't mess up the entire sport calendar for another year.

So, most of all, it would be interesting know how would those postponement voters split.

#banbestmen

13 hours ago, Triplecast said:

From some 80% it came to 40%. Have a poll 50 days before the games and it'll be down to 20% and have a poll 1 week before the opening it will be 5%. When choice is given you choose but when it's a order you know your opinon(japanese public)  doesn't matter and they'll also say nothing can be done now. It'll happen. 

The thing is, they did this survey right when Japan is having another peak, just like in january. Of course opinion against will be higher in the middle of a peak...

PS. the "peak" in Japan is a laughable (for a country of +100M) 2000 daily cases.

Our NOC chef de mission said

Obviously Tokyo 2020(1) will not be cancelled. there to much money involved.

But one thing is certain, without spectators (not sure even the Japanese will be allowed to be in the stands) under strict covid-19 olympic rulebook, without this unique typical olympic atmosphere of togetherness of all atletes from all over the world sharing the same village, canteen etc...

We will not have the Olympic Games in Tokyo this year, just a sort of Olympic competitions.

As long as there will be spectators, I think the atmosphere will be fine even if there will be some unusual stuff. Like, we just allowed full capacity for our EURO2020 matches in Budapest, even with some COVID restriction that's going to feel like a regular, pre-COVID football match. The same can be true for the Games even with mostly neutral spectators. 

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

As long as there will be spectators, I think the atmosphere will be fine even if there will be some unusual stuff. Like, we just allowed full capacity for our EURO2020 matches in Budapest, even with some COVID restriction that's going to feel like a regular, pre-COVID football match. The same can be true for the Games even with mostly neutral spectators. 

With how the Chinese Vaccine being used in Hungary is proving to be ineffective I would not count on that happening. 

the poll once again has been built to have this precise outcome...

from the low number of people interviwed to how those people have been selected to the main area where where those who participated live...

it's not a true nationwide poll and it's not been built in good faith...

I'm pretty sure it doesn't reflect at all the true Japanese position about the Games...

On 13/04/2021 at 12:59, phelps said:

the poll once again has been built to have this precise outcome...

from the low number of people interviwed to how those people have been selected to the main area where where those who participated live...

it's not a true nationwide poll and it's not been built in good faith...

I'm pretty sure it doesn't reflect at all the true Japanese position about the Games...

It probably does. Plenty of polls over the last year have showed majority of Japanese have always preferred cancellation compared to postponement,