website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

21 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Rumors saying the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics games will be without foreign spectators. Only local audience will be allowed. IOC should apparently announce it officially within a week

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

Basically one step closer to cancallation.

Japan is in a lose-lose situation pretty much. Their government has invested so much into the Games that cancelling them would be a major economic waste. However, holding them without fans in some capacity will also be an economic disaster since they won’t get a return to their investment.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

34 minutes ago, dcro said:

Basically one step closer to cancallation.

On the contrary, i see this, as one step closer to having the Games. It was never on the cards having a full cumbaya OG like in 2016. Having even only Japanese fans is still more, than i would have predicted.

Not sure why they wouldn’t let vaccinated fans attend. I know that Japan is stubbornly not starting the vaccine rollout, but surely a lot of people who would have wanted to travel to Tokyo will have been fully vaccinated by July. As long as they stay masked up the risk of transmission is extremely low.

I think it is the right decision. It does suck for Tokyo though, losing out on all that money. Maybe the IOC can give them the 2032 or 2036 games. Maybe COVID will be gone by then :p

21 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Japan is in a lose-lose situation pretty much. Their government has invested so much into the Games that cancelling them would be a major economic waste. However, holding them without fans in some capacity will also be an economic disaster since they won’t get a return to their investment.

Rio had 410,000 foreign visitors for the Olympics. Given the distances involved its unlikely Tokyo would have many more. If each spent 5000 dollars that about 2 billion and given the size of Japans economy that's nothing major. Irelands tourist loss alone for 2020 is more than that and we are 1/30 the size of Japan.

Its not ideal but still not a catastrophe.  

On 09/03/2021 at 20:24, dharang said:

This is the minimum rational decision which can be taken at the moment (they can decide more flexibly to what extent they allow Japanese spectators based on the situation in say, May or June - for local spectators it requires less planning in advance to attend)
It has to be announced as soon as possible. This is like ripping off the band aid - it has to be done quickly.

I only registered because I am also Hungarian. Rationale decision? In March? Why should they decide by March? The situation will be better and better each week, the vaccines are great and the seasonality factors will make it possible to hold an almost full house olmypic games in the northem hemisphere...

• 2 weeks later...

Just been confirmed no international fans or volunteers.

I still think some nations will pull out of the games even if they go ahead - especially countries that have eliminated the virus or by vaccination will have mostly eliminated it by July - because the difficulties in quarantining after they return might be too difficult.