website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

I think we are reaching a crucial point for the Games. It looks like the Diving World Cup in Tokyo is cancelled and the fourth wave is about to hit Japan as we are getting close to a "point of no return" with the Games, I doubt that they can cancel it if the countdown goes below 100 days. If there will be a cancellation, it's going to happen in the next few days/weeks. 

With so many qualifiers being conducted in great difficulty, no question of cancelling the Olympics now. It's not that severe in tokyo this time. And yes safe to not have any qualifiers in Tokyo to increase cases. But Tokyo will still go ahead 99.9%

When the torch relay started, there's no turning back.  There won't be a cancellation.  Too many sports leagues around the world are operating right now, so if there was any notion to cancel the Olympics, the question would be why can't they do it when others can?

it's just about time, we will hear news about the cancellation soon, the great Kim Jong-un already boycotted the Olympics. I have first hand news that Biden will forbid US athletes to participate in next few weeks. Merkel and Putin will do the same soon.

Spoiler

OK, just tried to make sure you guys don't miss our I-hate-the-Olympics "friend" here. :p

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

When the torch relay started, there's no turning back.  There won't be a cancellation.  Too many sports leagues around the world are operating right now, so if there was any notion to cancel the Olympics, the question would be why can't they do it when others can?

To be fair, there really isn't a sports league one can compare in any way with the magnitude of the Olympics in terms of the massive number of people involved even at a very bare minimum. Just to hold the event you already need thousands of athletes and that's without anyone to actually organise and 'lead' it, whereas a football match requires a number of people which if you plan correctly can probably stay in double digits. Some sports of course require more simply because of larger fields of participants, but still not even close to a thousand.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Also, Japan seriously messed up the vaccination so far, just look at this comparison of the G7 countries: 

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=328..latest&pickerSort=desc&pickerMetric=population&Metric=People+vaccinated&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=USA~GBR~European+Union~JPN~CAN~FRA~DEU~ITA

They really need to do something about this and quickly vaccinate their population, otherwise there won't be any spectators at the events, or worse, they will hit by a huge wave and who knows what they will do in that case. 

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Also, Japan seriously messed up the vaccination so far, just look at this comparison of the G7 countries: 

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=328..latest&pickerSort=desc&pickerMetric=population&Metric=People+vaccinated&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=USA~GBR~European+Union~JPN~CAN~FRA~DEU~ITA

They really need to do something about this and quickly vaccinate their population, otherwise there won't be any spectators at the events, or worse, they will hit by a huge wave and who knows what they will do in that case. 

Plans are that it will accelerate in May. No doubt that's pretty damn slow so far, but if things go according to plan, they will be done in time for the Olympics.

If athlethes having max 3 day stay after event is over, which I presume will be reduced to 1 and a half day no more than approx 4000 athlethes would be in Tokyo at a time in a village of capacity 10000+. Correct me if I am wrong  with the calculations.

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

If athlethes having max 3 day stay after event is over, which I presume will be reduced to 1 and a half day no more than approx 4000 athlethes would be in Tokyo at a time in a village of capacity 10000+. Correct me if I am wrong  with the calculations.

That alone will cut down the number of attendees.  The only reason you see all of those one-athlete-and-ten-officials small countries at the Opening Ceremony is the chance for three weeks’ free holiday.  :raspberry:

• 2 weeks later...

http://bit.ly/kyodopoll

Still very troubling numbers here for Japanese Government and organizers.  Poll released April 11

Want Games cancelled    39.2% 

Want Games Postponed  32.8%

Games should go on         24.5%

Doesn't say about the other 3.5%